• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

whole pork loin 45

Started by CLAREGO, April 12, 2008, 03:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

here in central pa we have amish stores we like to call them anyways they sell bent and dent stuff at awesome prices! i took notice that they had a whole pork loin for 45 bucks frozen. now this huge piece of meat look to be a side of a piggy. it had ribs and a whole loin attached to it and other stuff. i didn't purchase it but instead i bought a whole fresh ham for 1.18 a lb this included the butt and shoulder.

ok

question
how to cut up meat already frozen to keep frozen till cooked
this look like a whole side of a pig can you purchase a stainless still blade for a receprocating saw ?
what kinds of cuts are in there ?

anyone ever try this ?

3rensho

I've seen many a butcher use a band saw for such purposes.  These are dedicated machines not used for anything else.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

You may want to thaw it first. If you thaw it in the refrigerator it can be refrozen, as long as it is properly handled after it has thawed. Thawing will make it easier to remove the baby back ribs, and to keep the loin intact for roast and Canadian bacon. If you butcher it frozen, you may have cut it into chops instead.

Also do a search on "hog fabrication" or "pig fabrication" to get some ideas on how to butcher it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CLAREGO

maybe just a legend but isnt refrozen meat bad? bacteria and such ?

CLAREGO

i guess its true i just research it lol man i always thought you couldnt refreeze i guess thats why the food standars tell yah to leave it in your fridge to thaw out thanks habs!!!

La Quinta

I thought that too!! :) Now we know!!!

Habanero Smoker

Refreezing can do some damage to the cells of the meat. That is why you will often see references that state do not refreeze meat. What happens is once it is thawed out and refrozen, the water in the cells form ice crystals that can puncture the cell walls, causing the meat to loose moisture when it is cooked. I refreeze meat often, and the loss of moisture is not that noticeable to me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)