• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question Pork Belly Bacon

Started by Smoke_Lover, April 13, 2008, 09:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke_Lover

Hi all;

I have had success with one 4lb pork belly bacon.  I took a 70lb box of 4 bellys and cut them up into pieces about 4lbs and vacumn packed into gallon bags and froze them.  This way I have the bellys and can experiment without ruining large batches.  I used a recipe that I believe Hab put online with sugar, onion powder, garlic powder and Mortons TQ.  This is not exact. :)

Alright, my question is this:

The last batch I cured for 7 days in a gallon baggy and did not pour off any liquid until the end.  This batch turned out good.

Now I am pouring off the liquid every other day.  Am I losing the nitrates/nitrites that I need when I do this?

Also, I have only used sugar and cure this time.  I want to try the maple syrup and cider vinager second soak/cure that someone posted fairly recently.  Sorry I read the posts several days ago and I am not sure who posted.  What benefit will the vinager add over just the maple syrup and does the product actually soak up enough of the flavors to make this step worth while.

I also have sworn off store bought bacon, although I wonder if I will ever be able to match Nueskes smoked bacon. this is my fav..  There is a certain satisfaction in doing it yourself and the flavors of even my first try were excellent.

Thanks
Jay
aka Smoke_Lover
You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now.

Joan Baez

Habanero Smoker

You shouldn't pour off the liquid, that still contains a fair amount of curing salt. What you should do is just "over haul" it either daily or at the half way point. Over hauling is just picking up the bag, shaking it around a bit to redistribute the cure, turn it over and place back into the refrigerator. When fully cured the bacon should be uniformly firm in all areas as you press down on it.

I've never tried using a vinegar in a bacon cure, so I can't help you there.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoke_Lover

Thanks Hab;

I hope I havent ruined this batch then.  Weds will be the 7th day and I will smoke it Thurs after I let it soak in maple syrup and maybe the vineger I will have to look for that post and see if there is any more info on that.  It might be best just to eat it withmaple syrup on the side. :)

Jay
You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now.

Joan Baez