• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First smoke.. Temp Concerns..

Started by fatluke, April 13, 2008, 11:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatluke

Hello All..

I have been a member and I have done a pile of reading. I know the built in thermometer on the BDS is not the most accurate so I have a Maverick ET-73 in there as well. My first smoke has started and I have 4 racks of ribs in there. (2 trays with two racks of ribs on each). They are placed on the second and third racks from the top. I want to smoke at 220 (I know it should be a bit lower but time constraints) so here is my problem. I preheated to 300 and when I loaded the ribs, the temp dropped under 200, and I reset the temp to be 220. I could not get it to reach 220 so I have it set at 240 and it's reading a temp of 228. It's been going for 2.5 hours now and is starting to be more steady. I have just lowered the set temp to 230 in hopes it will run around 220. Now I have my maverick probe hanging just above the second rack from the top and it's only reading 205. My question is what temp should I trust?

Note: As soon as the budget allows I want to purchase a DigiQ II and Raptor. I like things to be very precise and my reading on here has indicated this is a great option. I considered building a PID myself as I am handy enough to do so, but I just don't have the time.

Thanks in Advance.

West Coast Kansan

Follow your ET 73 for Tower Temps.  The fluctuations are going to happen. They wont bother your end result however.   ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

KyNola

Trust the ET-73 over the DBS.  You will see wide temp swings in the box early on.  As your ribs come up in temp, the temp swings in the box will lessen and you will actually find the DBS temp indicator and the ET-73 temps will be very close.  I have been using my DBS for about a year and at first I was really discouraged and confused about the difference in the ET-73 temp and the DBS indicator.  As you gain experience, you will learn more about how the DBS works.  Like you, I would like to add a DIGI-Q Raptor but have yet to do so.

Smoke on!
KyNola

fatluke

Thanks for the fast reply guys. After opening the door to rotate and spritz the ribs, the temp dropped and then cam back to hold steady at 222 on the Bradley, and 196 on the Maverick (but it was set for 240 in order to maintain these temps). That's almost 30 degrees difference. I assume it is due to the fact that my Maverick probe is so close to the top of the smoker? (6 rack).

So maybe another question is where do Maverick users place there smoke temp probe? Halfway down from the top, 2/3 etc??

Also, why won't the Bradley bring the internal temperature up to the temp it is set to?

Thanks again!

Mr Walleye

Fatluke

I prefer to pass the ET73 probe through the door and clip it under my lowest rack. Usually off to the side a little so your meat doesn't drip on it. By placing it under the meat I think it more truely reflects the temp the meat is seeing. When you have the probe above the meat I think the meat influences the displayed temp a little more. Just my opinion though.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

It will hit the set point eventually, I finally got my head around this when I realized we are cooking with 6 hundred watt light bulbs. This is a lot different that chunk wood.  Anyway as long as the meat is cold and we loose heat by opening the door there is a lot of mass to absorb the heat from the light bulb.  ;)

You can minimize this by using a large tin foil bowl with hot water to start out.  The temps come up quicker and the warm water adds a little mass that is already heated.  Pre heating to the 280 turn on default temp will help as well. I will sometimes preheat for an hour before the meat and water goes in... sometimes means I dont worry about it but frequently remember  ;D

Once everything is largely at the same temp - the difference in temps reduces. 

Again, the bradley is a low and slow smoker and the temp fluctuations and cold smoke option I look at as a free feature - - kinda.  But it is great food in any case and it sure is easy.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

fatluke

Thanks again fella's. For my next smoke I will preheat longer, use hotter water in my bowl and change the location of my probe.

The ribs turned out OK. Not quite as moist as I was expecting, but very impressive for my first go. I have recorded everything I know what to adjust next time!!

Gizmo

I also place the maverick probe next to the meat (usually the same tray as the meat).  Of coarse when doing multiple racks, I use the lowest as it will see the highest heat and therefore reach temp faster.  You mentioned you used a higher temp then what you were shooting for.  I do the same.  I actually leave the temp high after the preheat and loading.  I keep it there until the maverick temp reaches the set temp, then I will start to decrease the set temp by 10 to 20 degrees until the set temp is around what I am looking for in the cooking temperature.  The set and box temps get closer together as the temperature of the meat rises.

In my opinion, the temperature sensor on the bradley is quite accurate but because of its mounting, back of the cabinet position where the heating element is, and position especially in relation to the meat, it does not read what the maverick will read unless the maverick is located next to the sensor.   
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/