New guy on the block--great tips on cheese!

Started by Ken Riddle, April 15, 2008, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Riddle

I am Ken Riddle, new BS owner.

I have been lurking here for a while and it is most helpful seeing what you all have posted.

I smoked a corned beef brisket and it came out very good.  I soaked it for a few hours, slatered it down with mustard, and gave her a big dose of rub.  Smoked two hours with "special blend", then wrapped it in foil and finished it at 200 degrees in the oven.  Really great!

I did a bunch of cheese per the instructions on this board last weekend.  I had Cracker Barrell sharp cheddar, some good swiss, a loaf of Monterey Jack, and some Hot Pepper Jack.  Did it with the heater unplugged and used pecan wood.  I had to open the door a few times to let the heat out as it wanted to get to 100 degrees with just the smoke unit.  I tried to keep it below 80.  The day was cool.

I smoked it for an hour and a half.  It had just liberated a bit of moisture when I let it get too warm so I dried it off with paper towels and then wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it in a ziplock bag and refrigerated it for two days.

I must tell you, it is magnificent!  Especially the sharp cheddar.  Thank you all so much for posting all the tips on this board.

Ken Riddle
Hampton, Tennessee

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum and congrats on those smokes.  Keep it rollin.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Hi Ken and welcome to the forum.

It looks like you are off to a really great start!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Hey Ken!! Nice to have you with us!! Watch out!! There is some pretty addictive stuff to learn on this site!!! :)

FLBentRider

Welcome Ken,

Smoking is addicitive.

Much knowledge here to be had.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Welcome Ken!  I see the usual suspects have already christened you to the forum. :D  Lots of really knowledgeable people on this forum to gain information from should you ever need it.

KyNola