• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

another brisket question??

Started by westexasmoker, April 22, 2008, 01:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

While I don't always do my brisket this way, it seems to have become my preferred method and was wondering if anyone else does a marinade?  I usually make my own but I've come accross 'Claudes brisket marinade' at the store and it has a very nice flavor to it after rubbed and smoked, but here's my question I like to let my brisket soak for at least 3-4 weeks before cooking, and when I tell people this I get a funny look and the statement "does'ent the meat go bad" is what I'm always asked, my response is I haven't gotten sick yet, so is this a "bad" idea or does anybody else do this, and I'm not as crazy as they think  :o I am??

Thanks

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

I would be concern of what is in the marinade. If the marinade has a lot of enzymes or high acid base the meat may be a little "mushy". As long as you have expelled most of the air, I have wet aged beef longer then 3 weeks, but again I wet age the beef in a vacuum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

I wet age beef all the time for two weeks or longer in a vacum sealed bag like Habs. I don't use any marinade though. I would tend to agree with Hab on the getting mushy part. I also use the fridge that is turned down to 36F (the same one I thaw seafood and poultry in). I'd say if your meat stays firm then keep on doing what you've done in the past.

westexasmoker

I've never (knock on wood) had one get mushy on me, is that a reaction from air hitting it.  I use a large ziplock and get as much air out as possible and then keep it submerged I guess kinda like brineing it.  I have a vac sealer, do you add anything to it or just suck the air out and go??

Thanks

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

iceman

Quote from: westexasmoker on April 22, 2008, 03:37:31 PM
I've never (knock on wood) had one get mushy on me, is that a reaction from air hitting it.  I use a large ziplock and get as much air out as possible and then keep it submerged I guess kinda like brineing it.  I have a vac sealer, do you add anything to it or just suck the air out and go??

Thanks

C
I don't add anything to the meat at all. Just evacuate the air and toss back in the fridge. Some of the gryvac ones I just leave as is and keep a week or two in the fridge and go from there.

Habanero Smoker

The type of marinades that could make the meat mushy are those high in acids such as vinegar, apple juice, citrus juices etc; and/or from foods that are heavy in certain enzymes like ginger, pineapple, papaya or it commercial equivalent "Adolf's" Meat Tenderizer.

If you been using a marinade that is heavy in either acids or enzymes, and it's been working I would continue to use it the way you have.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)