Jerky Screens High Temp

Started by Gizmo, April 24, 2008, 11:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Well it has taken some time to get the data I wanted to present to you all on my trials with test samples of Jerky Screens from a company about 60 miles up the road from where I live.

First off, I have to confess I have not tried any other products from other companines (except for the non-stick coated jerky racks that lasted for a couple uses and were tossed) but from what I see on the web, the lower temp product samples I received look just like them and they may all come from the same source.

The two types of screens I tested were USDA Plastic Screens (polyproylene polymer) and USDA PTFE coated Fiberglass Screens.  The Plastic is rated at 200 degrees and the PTFE is rated at 500 deg. 

The Plastic is O.K.  I suspect it is just like all the others out there.  It does discolor a little, and takes a little cleaning to get the hardest stuck particles off.  Certainly a dream compared to the non-stick coated racks or non-coated racks with non-stick spray.  The one problem I ran into with the plastic is it did suffer some melting.  This was a sheet located in the lowest rack position and at the back of the box.  As the heater turned on to keep the box temp up at 200 hundred, it would have exceeded the 200 degree point and started to melt the plastic.  For this, I would not consider the plastic for smoking.

I must say I am very impressed with the 500 deg high temp PTFE Coated Fiberglass.  Nothing really sticks and they didn't discolor.  Light dish soap and brush or dish cloth and you are good to go.  I suspect a toss in the dish washer would do as well, but this is so easy to clean there was no need.

In testing, I smoked jerky, sausage, ribs, brisket, butt, and pistachios.  I always take my product out of the smoker after the smoke is over and use the house convection oven or dehydrator to finish so not all of the tests may be typical of what you may do - start to finish in the bradley.  I did do one session of ribs start to finish (except for the FTC) just to push the product to see if I could get some sticking.  I also suspect that a 20 hour pork butt might be a little tougher of a test but I also believe, these guys would come clean. After I receive my full sized set of 12, I may just run a 20 hour pig to see if it takes any more effort to clean after the goo turns to charcoal.  My favorite screen and what I am ordering is the HP-0951HW.  The HW in this part number signified it has more non-stick the the HP-0951.  I like the HP-0109 but they are no longer available.

Following are pictures of the sample pieces the company sent me to test.

Here is the picture of the two PTFEs . 

Here is the picture of the PTFE and the two plastics.

Here is a picture after one of the test smokes.  After the quick cleaning they looked like new again.

I will follow up on this post when I get some ordering information for you all.  I suspect the cost for us will be very comparable or better than what you are seeing for the plastics found else where.  Hope to have that information for you all real soon.  Sorry for the delay.  I actually didn't want to post this until I had that nailed down but since there has been a few posts of interest, I didn't want to delay any further.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Gizmo, what is the opening size.  Would these hold nuts is the real question.  Thanks for posting on this.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

1/8 inch by 3/16 on the small grid size.  You won't be able to smoke mustard seeds directly on them but anything the size of popcorn seeds or higher is a go.  I don't know that a popcorn seed would take the smoke well until after it is cooked so even though it would not fall through, it may not be worth it.   ;D  The pistachios I did were no problem.

West Coast Kansan

Quote from: Gizmo on April 24, 2008, 11:53:50 PM
  ;D  The pistachios I did were no problem.

Well you knew exactly where I was going huh.  Thats pretty good  :D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Mr Walleye

Great Job Gizmo!  ;)

I look forward to seeing the supplier/pricing.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Quote from: Mr Walleye on April 25, 2008, 05:41:28 AM
Great Job Gizmo!  ;)

I look forward to seeing the supplier/pricing.

Mike

Same here.  Great work.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

Thanks for the research - I'm chompin' at the bit to buy some.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

Hey Gizmo,

Any update on where to buy these ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Why yes.
Thank You for the Segway.

Just to let everyone know, I contacted Bryan at Yard and Pool (sorry if I am letting the cat - no not wildcat, out of the bag a little early) to see if he was interested in carrying the product.  He was and started communications with the Manufacturer.  He has been hard at work in getting things lined up for us and is close to being able to offer these.  Thank you all for your patience on my delays.

I hope you all find these screens as high quality as I do.  These are non-stick-PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene used in GoreTex and nonstick cookware) coated fiberglass and are rated at 500 degrees.  I actually use the screens (the small samples for now) for every thing I do, not just jerky.  They keep a lot of the goo off of the racks and make cleanup a lot easier.

Hopefully Bryan can fill in the rest of the info soon (availabilty and price). 

Bryan, Thanks for looking into this for us and taking the chance.

Wildcat

Quote from: Gizmo on May 15, 2008, 10:06:00 PM
Why yes.
Thank You for the Segway.

Just to let everyone know, I contacted Bryan at Yard and Pool (sorry if I am letting the cat - no not wildcat, out of the bag a little early) to see if he was interested in carrying the product.  He was and started communications with the Manufacturer.  He has been hard at work in getting things lined up for us and is close to being able to offer these.  Thank you all for your patience on my delays.

I hope you all find these screens as high quality as I do.  These are non-stick-PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene used in GoreTex and nonstick cookware) coated fiberglass and are rated at 500 degrees.  I actually use the screens (the small samples for now) for every thing I do, not just jerky.  They keep a lot of the goo off of the racks and make cleanup a lot easier.

Hopefully Bryan can fill in the rest of the info soon (availabilty and price). 

I already clawed and chewed a large enough hole in the bottom to escape.  :P ;D

Thanks for the research and Bryan, I am interested.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

begolf25

Quote from: Gizmo on May 15, 2008, 10:06:00 PM

Gizmo,

Everyone should be thanking you. You have done all the hard work and testing.

As far as availability and pricing goes I will have that for everyone early next week. Unfortunately, DuPont's biggest competitor closed its doors so DuPont has raised the price of non-stick since it now has a monopoly so these were priced a little higher then I thought they would be. But I will make sure to work out some pricing for all forum members.

As soon as I have all the info I will post it here. Thanks again Gizmo.

Bryan

westexasmoker

I to am very interested, had been planing on ordering some of the jekly screens, I think I'll hold out till these are available!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

oguard

I am also interested.They would be great for indian candy (not pc but oh well lol :o :o) and the rest of smoking and cooking in the Bradley :P.

Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

tturaider

Wow not even an hour ago I was searching ebay and amazon for some jerkey trays and couldnt find any.  Put me down for a set I would love to have some.

Now I got to go find a good jerky recipe......
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Gizmo

TT - Try Hi Mountain Original Blend.  I have 13 pounds ready to go in a few hours.
It is an awesome flavor.