• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled Pork - Country Style Ribs

Started by gscheig, April 28, 2008, 11:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gscheig

Made these yesterday and wife / kids thought it was the best thing to come out yet.  Used the Smoke and Spice "Renowned Mr. Brown" rub on country style ribs after covering with yellow mustard.

smoked with 2.5 hours of pecan and took them up to about 180 internal temperature - took about 6 hours total at =/- 200 degrees.

FTC'd for a couple of hours, shredded and served with Ice's sauce.  Outstanding - might keep those cheap country style ribs in mind next time they go on sale.  Also, there was a lot of great "bark", given there was so much surface area for the rub.

This was the first time I made one of the rubs in the book / recipe site, but I was very pleased with the results.  Thanks to all on this site for great ideas...

Smoking Duck

Hey gscheig,

Good idea on the country style ribs.  The Renowned Mr Brown rub is one I use quite a bit on my pulled pork.  It's a simple, but pretty tasy rub.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

Sounds like a winner - we like bark.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tturaider

FL Im with you...at times ill fight to get the bark almost over the meat!!
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

FLBentRider

It's amazing to see - when the butts come out of the smoker - the family members circling the kitchen, like vultures, waiting to pounce on the bark stuck to the smoker rack after the butt has been FTC'd - there is an order - First the Alpha, then his mate, then the others in the pecking order, like wild animals feasting.

All for the bits of bark stuck to the rack - they hate PAM, they'll hide it on me.  ;D

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

You need to post a photo of that FL.  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

That will be a tough shot, hard to find a volunteer to man the camera. I'll have to set up the tripod and put the camera in time-lapse mode , so we can have a witness to the carnage.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tturaider

Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Deflated

I was curious to know how many pounds of "ribs" you smoked?   I was also wondering if you had to check the temp. on every piece of meat or if you just checked a few and figured the rest were good?   I've got about 5 1/2 pounds that I'm gonna throw in tomorrow and I want to know if the 6 hours total time is going to be enough.

Deflated

Well they didn't come out very good at all.  Maybe I over cooked them or maybe they just didn't have enough fat.  I put them in for 2 1/2 hours of smoke at 200 deg.  I then moved them to a 200 deg. oven, on a cookie sheet with apple juice and covered in foil, for another 2 1/2 hours.  They were like pork chops.  They didn't pull apart at all like a pork shoulder does.  So what did I do wrong?  Cooked to long?  Temp to high?  Meat not fatty enough?  What do you guys think?

Caneyscud

Quote from: Deflated on June 03, 2009, 09:35:02 AM
Well they didn't come out very good at all.  Maybe I over cooked them or maybe they just didn't have enough fat.  I put them in for 2 1/2 hours of smoke at 200 deg.  I then moved them to a 200 deg. oven, on a cookie sheet with apple juice and covered in foil, for another 2 1/2 hours.  They were like pork chops.  They didn't pull apart at all like a pork shoulder does.  So what did I do wrong?  Cooked to long?  Temp to high?  Meat not fatty enough?  What do you guys think?
Sorry to hear that deflated.  They probably tasted pretty good anyway - or at least I hope so!  I will have to admit, I have never smoked country style ribs - I have only grilled them many times though.  But from what you are describing, they likely weren't cooked long enough at 200 degrees.  Some people don't pull their pull-apart pork off the smoker/oven until an IT of 200 deg - I think that is too long however, unless the meat if very fatty,   Likely, the meat didn't get up to the 185 or so needed or if it did, it wasn't there for long enough to break everything down.  Try again, but at 225 and maybe 5 to 6 hours total.  Also might check the temp of both the smoker and the oven to see if they are actually 225 deg.  Hope this helps and I hope the next time they are melt in your mouth good!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Ka Honu

Quote from: Deflated on June 03, 2009, 09:35:02 AM... They were like pork chops. 

And there you have it... Country-style ribs are much closer in texture & taste to chops than they are to either ribs or butt so you really can't expect quite the same results as you'd get with the other cuts.  Good in their own right, but not the same.

Deflated

Well I shredded them up, put the meat in a big pile, poured some vinegar sauce on, covered with foil and heated it up in a 200 deg. oven for about 30 min.   It actually made pretty decent pseudo pulled pork sandwiches.  So not a complete failure after all.

45ght

mikecorn.1

Foil, towel, cooler.     

FTC - Foil Towel Cooler
A resting / staging method of wrapping the product in Foil, then and old Towel, and place in a warmed Cooler (no ice). This keeps the product hot and allows flexibility in serving times. Most plan to get the food done early, then use FTC to hold the product until serving time. This method also acts as a passive oven, allowing the meat to cool slowly and evenly, while continuing the break down of connective tissue/collagen.       copied and pasted from this link.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=481
Mike