• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Yard Bird

Started by DakotaGriller, May 12, 2008, 02:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DakotaGriller

Yesterday's accomplishment - Smoked Yard Bird.  I started off by brining it over night in:

2 quarts apple juice
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, smashed with the side of a large knife
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 sliced (thick) lime

Just to add a little more flavor, I dusted it with a little more brown sugar.  The bird went in the smoker (with Hickory) at 220 degrees for 3 hours.  Every hour, I sprayed it with a 1:1 mixture of Apple Juice and Cap't Morgan Spiced Rum.  After the 3 hours and hitting 160 degrees, it looks like:

I wrapped it in tin foil, doused it with more apple juice / Cap't Morgan and placed on the top rack of my grill.  I had both outside burners on and the middle two shut off.  After one hour, Mr. Chicken was at 170 degrees.  Here 'tis sliced up and ready for the neighborhood:

Inredible.  Juicy, tender and melts in your mouth.  Then the fight starts.  As I stood back in awe, the 'hood fights over who gets the left overs.  I guess it was a success. 

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Smoking Duck

Nice looking bird, Dakota!  I was wondering how you got the skin so dark!  I'll bet it was scrumptious.  I have a little yard bird left over myself.....think I'll make some smoked chicken noodle soup.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

DakotaGriller

Thanks!  This is the 3rd one I've done.  They always turn out with a dark color.  It's probably the the coating you get with the light coat of brown sugar as it reduces.  It creates a very nice crispy coating.  So, you get a combination of smoked chicken with a sweet crunch to it. 

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

West Coast Kansan

Very nice all sliced up and ready to go.  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

FLBentRider

Looks good. I am going to have to try that brown sugar coat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"