• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Digital or original with a PID?

Started by deak, May 12, 2008, 10:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deak

Hello all

I am looking to buy my first bradley  I  had  little chief a long time ago and always hated having to tend to it.  Plus no insulation or heat control.   So the idea of a smoker I can set and leave alone is great. I was leaning towards a digital one, but am I better off getting an OBS and a PID?  I read even the digital smokers don't hold  to a set temp very well.  I know some PIDs can be spendy but has anyone else gone this route?

Deak

Gizmo

With all the folks here, we have covered the spectrum.  Originals, Digitals, with and without PID.  They are all out there.  I would say if you are leaning toward using a PID, then buy the original and use the PID.  If super accuracy is not extremely important, than go with either unit.  I bought the Digital 6 rack for 2 specific reasons, capacity and tight digital control.   After almost 2 years of use, the capacity is still a factor, but my lust for super tight control is not as big a factor as it was when I bought the unit.  I got over the fact that the unit does not regulate as tight as I would have liked.  The temperature fluctuations don't seem to be a big factor in turning out a great product.  This may be a little over simplified when it comes to sausage and other products that have a smaller window, but even those are doable without PID control.  That is not to say that you won't have more fluctuations if you use larger loads.  The majority of the food most smoke here is just fine with 10 to 15 degree swings.  I would also suggest getting the original and holding off on the PID until you have a few trial runs and get a good feel for whether you need the real accuracy or not.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

I would recommend the original with PID versus the digital.  With the price difference between the original and DBS, you can get a PID and still be a little ahead with the OBS setup.  You can do it either way, I suppose but why spend the money on a DBS when you can get pinpoint accuracy with a PID?  Those are just my thoughts anyways.  Either way you decide to go, I think you'll find a vast improvement over the Chief.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

I'm big believer in using the PID, although I've only used it just this last weekend.  But after the spike in temp I had that one weekend, which killed the smoker, this last weekend was truly set it and forget it.  I say go OBS and build yourself a PID, heck if I can do it anybody can!  I also agree with Giz, get your smoker, either DBS or OBS, and go a couple of rounds with it.  Then decide PID or no PID.  Good luck!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

tturaider

I agree with what everyone has said here. Ive got a OBS with a PID and truly love it.  I like it before I got the PID but love it now.  The accuracy and ease with the pid is awesome.  I put two pork shoulders on this am checked em once and just got back from a four hour bike ride and its still set at the same temp as when I left it.  But just as everyone else has said if you do get the OBS use it for a while without the PID and you may learn how to set it without the use of a PID.  Hell that will save you enuff money to smoke enuff food so that we all can come over!!   ;D :D  ;)  Which ever you choose youll be pleased!!!!!!!!
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

West Coast Kansan

What Gizmo said,,, except only the DBS provides the natural variation in temperature that simulates purist smokers but with automated control. ::)

Actually just kidding.  ???

Since your already talking about PID control, buy the origional and add the PID.  :-\

But then you will always wonder about missing the advantages of the natural variation in temperature that simulates purist smokers but with automated control. ::)

Hey welcome deak!!!  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

iceman

Your mission Deak, should you decide to accept it, is to contact your local dealer and purchase an OBS for research purposes. After gaining knowledge of said unit proceed to the acquisition of a PID. Should you be discovered by the boss of the family I know nothing about you or any of your purchases. (I know nothing as it is)  :D ;D
WELCOME

tturaider

Quote from: iceman on May 14, 2008, 08:45:15 AM
Your mission Deak, should you decide to accept it, is to contact your local dealer and purchase an OBS for research purposes. After gaining knowledge of said unit proceed to the acquisition of a PID. Should you be discovered by the boss of the family I know nothing about you or any of your purchases. (I know nothing as it is)  :D ;D
WELCOME

My God one of the reasons why I come to this forum is I laugh at least once a day. ;D  :D
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

westexasmoker

Hey Ice you forgot to throw in that this thread will self-destruct in 10 seconds!!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

iceman

Quote from: westexasmoker on May 14, 2008, 09:03:23 AM
Hey Ice you forgot to throw in that this thread will self-destruct in 10 seconds!!  ;D

C

Good catch buddy.

BTW this thread will go "up in smoke" in ten seconds.  :D ;)

Johnboy

Hi all,

I'm a newbie with the BTST02 - (non-digital - 4 rack).  Several things you need to know about me:

1)  I have zero electrical background and less mechanical ability;
2)  I really want a plug and play solution - (I'm going to have to replace my temp control as it is faulty and that's about the extent of my desire to play with wires and/or take things apart)
3)  I brought the Bradley cuz I thought I could load it and walk away, but my 3-4 uses thus far have all involved frequent checking to get the temperature right.  I like eating the products, but am not dedicated enough to do the constant monitoring.

So - bearing all of that in mind - I found:

Bradley Smoker PID Temperature Controller
- Plug-n-play PID controller from Auber (about $120 on Ebay)  I can't do fancy formatting, but here's the description:

This plug-and-play PID temperature controller is for controlling the temperature of Bradley Smoker and other electric smokers. The original temperature control mechanism of the Bradley Smoker is not very stable and accurate. For the same dial position, the smoking temperature can vary significantly depending on content in the smoker, the ambient temperature, the wind speed, the ambient humidity, and even the direction of sunshine. This controller uses the PID algorithm to automatically adjust power of the heater to compensate all these disturbance. With this controller, the smoking temperature will be hold to one degree precision.

To operate, plug the smoker heater to the socket of the controller on the back, drop the sensor into smoker from the top venting hole, turn on the power of controller and smoker, set the cooking temperature and timer. It will do the rest of job for you.  When fished, the sound alarm will tell you the food is ready.

There's a Programmable model for another $35-$40. (This "programmable" model has a easy to use,  6 steps programmable temperatures setting function. It can set each step of the smoking at different temperature and duration. The duration of each step can be set from 0.1 hour to 99.9 hour.  This function is useful for recipes that need to start at low temperature and finish at higher temperature. e. g. You can program the temperature to start at 120 °F for 1.5 hour of smoking, rise to 140 °F for 2.5 hours and finish at 175 °F for 1 hour for the smoked salmon.  It will save your the time to wait by the smoker to change the setting manually when each step is finished.)

It sounds like a person could BUILD something like this for half the price or so, but as mentioned, I'm not the building type.

Questions -

1)  Does this seem like a reasonable approach?
2)  If so, would it be worth getting the programmable model

Thanks for any advice you can give!

John

Smoking Duck

To me, it's simple.  You want set it and forget it smoking, you're much like me in that I'm all thumbs when it comes to building anything electrical, so buy the programmable one.  If money isn't a concern, that's how I'd go.  It sounds like for a little more cha-ching, you get something that should work really well for you.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Johnboy

Thanks - I found another thread discussing these models and (so far at least) pretty good reviews.

Mr Walleye

Johnboy

Another option is the DIGI-Q/Raptor from BBQ Guru. Although it's a little more money again, it also has a few more bells & whistles. I would direct you to their site but I was on it yesterday and picked up a virus so I would give it a few days before visiting it. If you do a search here for it you should find a fair amount of threads as there has been a number of discussions on them.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

There is the option not yet discussed which is the digital with a PID.  Use the PID when your in the mood for tight control and dont use the PID when your in the mood to take advantage of the highly engineered temperature swings only available in the Digital.

Only the Digital Model allows you the advantage of temperature variations that most accurately simulate purist smokers.   ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)