• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

todays catch

Started by bigredsmoker, May 13, 2008, 04:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredsmoker

Went out Morel hunting today and here was the result:

Think it's pretty much the last of them around here.

tturaider

Ok big you know im a west texas boy so tell me exactly what the heck those are and what you are gona do with em.  They look like a type of mushroom to me?
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

westexasmoker

I'm with TT looks like shrooms.. ::)....reminds me of highschool....dang that was ALONG time ago!  But I've been thinking about doing some portabellas with a quick smoke, and go from there..What ya think big?  I think the only mushrooms around this parts will kill ya..shoot they grow in horse poop..I'll pass!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

tturaider

Westtex they grow one other place around here...in cow poop as well  ;)

Smoking Duck

Those are morel shrooms and they are a delicacy.  They are great tasting shrooms and are in high demand during the season.  Not sure what they'd go for in a store but I think around $20-25/lb around here.  I like em fried up in butter and/or worcestershire sauce.  MMMMMMMM GOOD!  You ain't planning a trip to Indiana any time soon are you, Terry?  8)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

bigredsmoker

Duck is right, and you really don't ever see them in stores around here. I have seen some sell them out of there homes and they go for around $50 a pound. I found about 3 pounds. They are great cooked several ways, garlic and butter is great or you can bread them and fry them as well. the garlic and butter is great to have over a steak (an Omaha steak that is  ;D). Morels are only out in the early spring. April is usually the best time on those first warm days after a rainy period. You walk through the forest areas usually in river bottoms. They like the sandy soil. You can find them in the trees in the hils as well. These were from the river bottoms. They are great fun to hunt. It's like finding little treasures in the forest. Often times when you find one there will be a bunch more in the same area. I had one erea yesterday where I found one and then probably a dozen more within 20 yds. THere you go, everything you ever wanted to knowabout Morel mushrooms and probably more! ;D

Terry

ps; Sorry Duck, they will be all gone by this afternoon. :D :D If they froze well I would have sent you some.

iceman

I am soooo jealous Smoking Duck. Those are so good and so expensive I only get some once a year. Sauted in butter and put over a good filet Mignon and your talking heaven in my book. They grow up here too if the seasons weather is just right but not around my house. Enjoy!!!  :)

Smoking Duck

Don't be jealous of me Ice.  Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you are on the morels.  I'm kinda like Sparky on this one and can only drink in the pictures from a distance  :(

iceman

Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 14, 2008, 09:03:06 AM
Don't be jealous of me Ice.  Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you are on the morels.  I'm kinda like Sparky on this one and can only drink in the pictures from a distance  :(
Bummer. I thought your area would have them all over.

Smoking Duck

They do, Ice.  However, with money being tight right now, can't hardly justify using the gas on a trip for mushrooms.  At least that's what the boss tells me (and she tells me I need to say it with a smile  :D). It did hit 3.99 a gallon here yesterday. There's always next year.  By the way, do you think you or Kummok could hook me up with a crab boat?  I'm thinking a couple of months on the Bering Sea would do my checking account some good!

tturaider

Thats a good thing to know cuz i'd prob just stepped on them if I had ever ran across em....but then again it tooo dry to grow and shorrms around here.

manxman

QuoteWent out Morel hunting today

Someone told me they can be dried and stored for some time very well? Is that right bigredsmoker?

Manxman

Kummok

Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 14, 2008, 10:52:58 AM
They do, Ice.  However, with money being tight right now, can't hardly justify using the gas on a trip for mushrooms.  At least that's what the boss tells me (and she tells me I need to say it with a smile  :D). It did hit 3.99 a gallon here yesterday. There's always next year.  By the way, do you think you or Kummok could hook me up with a crab boat?  I'm thinking a couple of months on the Bering Sea would do my checking account some good!

Hillstrands (Time Bandit) go waaaaay back here but ya gotta live through that "couple of months on the Bering" in order to spend the $$ Duckman! Think I'd rather risk sliding down a mile long razor into a bucket of alcohol.....something about me & nausea that just don't get along when seas get about 15-20'+ !    ;) :o  I prefer watching Johnny & Andy on HDTV and Neil blowing grass seed on my front yard!

tturaider

Kum Deadliest Catch is one of my favorite shows.  Thats pretty cool that you actually know some of them.

manxman

QuoteDeadliest Catch is one of my favorite shows

New (?3rd) season Deadliest Catch has just started here in the UK, my two boys are fascinated by it with the Time Bandit and the Northwestern being their favourite boats.

Even bought them a couple of Northwestern caps!  :)
Manxman