Smoked Au Gratin Taters

Started by westexasmoker, May 15, 2008, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Smoking Duck inspired this dish...thanks SD

I did use just normal brown skinned taters, but I think reds would be fine!

Enough taters when sliced to fill a casserole dish(size depends on family/dish size!)
Smoke for 20 min. your choice of smoke, of course I went with mesquite!  ;D

Slice very thin

3 Tbls of butter melted in a saucepan
1 small onion diced, about 2 mins, until tender
2 Tbls flour(more or less) depending on how thick you want it...gonna add cheese in a moment..stir in flour salt/pepper to taste heat until bubbly, and remove from heat

2- 2 1/2  cups milk, stirred in slow, heat to boiling...stir constantly, don't let it stick...Remove from heat stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese (hopefully something you smoked). and more cheese the better!!

Spread your taters in your casserole dish, and cover with the cheese sauce.

Bake uncovered @ 375 for about an hour, Another 1/2 cup cheese and a sprinkle of bread crumbs for maybe 20 mins. on top until nice brown and bubbly and your taters are tender.

If you want to give it a kick throw some paprika or chili powder on the top for last bit.

I give kudos to SD for trying this...I've always done my tater au gratin this way, but the kick from the smoke on the taters and cheese really sets it off!  Thanks SD!

C

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

I made this dish...took it to our Perris speedway smoke out but I did one layer of smoked taters...the next layer not smoked and so on...I was worried that it would be to smokey if I did every layer of pots smoked...did you guys find that or no?

I did a layer of taters...layer of onions...etc. Then filled with the cheese/cream (or milk) mixture.

Your opinions would be appreciated...I love to learn...

tturaider

Thats my boy...Mesquite with everything!!! Haha  ;D
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Gizmo

LQ, Your smoked taters were terrific.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Well, I don't think I've ever been the source of inspiration for anyone before.  Well, there was the time in grade school where the teachers wanted to bring back corporal punishment but I don't think I was the sole source of inspiration for that one  :D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Wildcat

Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 16, 2008, 04:13:33 AM
Well, I don't think I've ever been the source of inspiration for anyone before.  Well, there was the time in grade school where the teachers wanted to bring back corporal punishment but I don't think I was the sole source of inspiration for that one  :D

;D ;D ;D

I am obviously much older than you since I think I was the source of inspiration for the folks who tried to eliminate corporal punishment.  I got my arse paddled every day back when I was in school.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

Oh I remember this all to well..'would you like detention or the paddle'..Duh the paddle, heck we did'nt have school cops, the dreaded vice princeapal was bad enough...Hey zippy zorns I grew up, well kinda!..Ahh, the good all days.  No bills, no children, no worries...gas was cheap   ;D  Yep I'm an old fart also!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!