• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Learning Process

Started by Drahtharr, May 16, 2008, 10:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Drahtharr on May 16, 2008, 03:57:11 PM
Habenero Smoker,
I pulled it when it hit 150 and it was in there give or take 4 hours.  I did two hours of smoke and used the maple pucks.  I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I had some tonight.  It had a nice smoke ring that was about 1/16 in the edge and had a nice pink color to it.  It was very good and the neighbor liked it as well  ;)  My next task is chicken; do you have any suggestions on how I should do it?  I was planning on soaking it in brine and then smoke it.  I would like to thank everybody for their feedback and welcoming me to the site.

You may want to take the Canadian Bacon out at 145°F; I now take mine out at 140°F; with the carry over the internal temperature will rise another 2-5°F while at rest. I'm not sure about the 1/16 inch pink ring. I don't know what caused that; you generally can't get a "smoke ring" using the OBS.

Chicken is one of the easiest things to smoke/cook in the Bradley. In today's market, if you want to brine chicken try to find a brand that is minimally processed; which is a brand that is not already injected with a brine of more then 2%. If they are already injected, I'm not sure if brining will have any added benefit. Either way, you should let the chicken air dry uncovered in the refrigerator overnight to allow the pellicle to from (it will feel tacky to the touch); or leave it at room temperature with a fan blowing on it for about 1.5 hours; just prior to apply the rub and placing it in the smoker. Apply a light coat of olive oil, and the rub of your choice.

I only use 2 hours of smoke on chicken, but many others use 3 hours. My favorite for chicken is apple or maple. I smoke/cook as hot as I can get my smoker, which is generally no hotter then 250°F with a load. I set the vent at about 3/4 open to allow the moisture to escape (after a couple of hours you can usually turn the vent to 1/4 open). For whole chickens or dark meat I take the internal temperature to 162-165°F measured at the thickest part of the thigh, if I'm only smoking breast I take them out at 155°F.

You may find that the skin may be rubbery or leather like if you fully cook them in the smoker. To improve skin texture you can sprinkle the skin with a light dusting of cornstarch when you apply your rub, and/or take them out of the smoker early and finish on the grill or hot oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Drahtharr

I guess I shouldn't have said smoke ring, the outside of the meat where it is darker is probably what I seen when I first looked at it.  I included a picture of it cut, it's not the best picture.  I'm getting ready to have some for breakfast.  Thanks for the chicken tips HS.

West Coast Kansan

Very nice.  Seems you are off to a great start!.  Using a rub with sugar component will tend to darken but yours seems about perfect to me. I tend to use a higher internal temp as well, but you can try it different ways to see what you like.  The "ring" thing is just the cure action concentrating on the outside as it is pulled into the meat and then tends to migrate out with fluids and in again - so to speak.  I have become a great fan of CB using HabS posting as the guide.  We end up using it as snacks with crackers / cheese etc as much as anything else. Great Pictures! WELCOME :D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

flipperz71

Welcom to the forum Drahtharr,  Looks good so far, keep up the good work and keep posting the pictures

Flip