• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Learning Process

Started by Drahtharr, May 16, 2008, 10:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drahtharr

I just started smoking with my Bradley Smoker and thought I would post some of my pics for feedback.  I noticed my Canadian bacon came out darker than some of the other posts I've seen, tomorrow will be tasting day.  The ribs and pork butt I did came out delicious and our guest love them.  However, since I got the smoker it seems like I'm feeding the neighborhood  ???  Please provide feedback because I'm always willing to learn more secrets of smoking.

Smoking Duck

Drahtharr,

First off, welcome to the site!  You will learn as much as you are willing to learn here.  There is a wealth of knowledge to be had and an abundance of knowledgeable people who are more than willing to share their secrets, experiences, etc.

As far as your meat, it looks great to me.  However, the true test is in how it tastes.  If the neighbors are already stealing your food, I say you're well on your way.  Don't be afraid to ask questions....there are no dumb ones.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Hi Drahtharr;
Welcome to the forum.

What internal temperature did you take the Canadian Bacon? I only take mine to 140-145°F. How long was it in the smoker? Mine is generally finished in 4 hours. How much smoke did you apply? I generally will apply 1:40 - 2 hours of smoke. What type flavor of bisquette(s) did you use? I prefer pecan, and also use maple and apple. All of these will have a factor on the color.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Habs is your man for the perfect food prep.  I would recommend that you enter into a verbal contract with the guests and neighbors for them to provide at least the other covered dishes, adult beverages, and anything else you need.   ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Drahtharr,
Welcome to the forum.
Judging from the pics and the neighbors feedback, the only advice to give you right now is to make sure you buy extra meat so there is enough for yourself after the vultures, I mean neighbors, are done circulating.  Actually here is a great tip - it is time to break out the tip ($$) jar.  
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Drahtharr

Habenero Smoker,
I pulled it when it hit 150 and it was in there give or take 4 hours.  I did two hours of smoke and used the maple pucks.  I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I had some tonight.  It had a nice smoke ring that was about 1/16 in the edge and had a nice pink color to it.  It was very good and the neighbor liked it as well  ;)  My next task is chicken; do you have any suggestions on how I should do it?  I was planning on soaking it in brine and then smoke it.  I would like to thank everybody for their feedback and welcoming me to the site.

westexasmoker

Welcome Drahtharr

Lots of excellent help on this forum, not sure how much will come from me  ;D  Meat looks good to me, and as ready stated if the neighbors liked it I believe you hit a homer!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum Drahtharr

Did you rub anything on the meat that had sugar in it ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Drahtharr

I had brown sugar in the curing blend for the bacon...

FLBentRider

Some will put maple syrup on a the bacon after the drying process. Sometimes that will make the surface of the finished product darker. It does not sound like that is the case.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Welcome aboard!!  Can't add about the Canadian bacon because Habs is the expert on all things smoked.  For the chickens, open your vent all the way as poultry holds a lot of moisture, especially if you brine it first, which I really recommend.

Let us know how it comes out.
KyNola

westexasmoker

HABS Canadian bacon...is the bomb....I can't make enough(everybody has a taste and I give it away, they love it!!) Once again thanks Habs... You'll never go for something else!! 

C

westexasmoker

That kinda came out wrong....Habs is the bomb(I'm new) but the CB receipe is incredible....what do I know I'm a newbie!!   ;D 

C

tturaider

Welcome to the forum!! You can learn a lot from the pros on this site. By the way the pics look great.
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Arcs_n_Sparks

Drahtharr,

Welcome to the forum. Awesome smoke you have posted. Did anyone mention the tithe due to the board for such outstanding work? I will send you my address shortly......    :D  Great stuff  8)

Arcs_n_Sparks