Opion's please...

Started by westexasmoker, May 16, 2008, 08:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Bought the pork butt today, slavered with mustard and spice, rump roast setting for 7 days.  Smoke tonight and all day....Or tommorrow.....I'm not a early kinda guy..Xperts..whats the plan....8 lb butt ...whatta ya'll think....I was think'ing all night...and a bit but, cause I don't wanna wake up until noon.

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

tturaider

Westex I smoked 15 lbs of shoulder tues and it only took about 11.5 hrs to reach 175 with the pid set at 200...times may be different since it is a different cut tho .  By the way where in town do you think is the best place to buy your meat? 
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

KyNola

Smoking/cooking time obviously depends on the temp you want to take the butt to with a lot of variables thrown in, smoking temp, etc.  I have two 7.5 butts that I plan to start smoking this afternoon at 210 degrees for 4 hours and continue roasting at 210 until the internal temp is 190-200 degrees.  I anticipate it will take around 16-20 hours.

Have fun!!
KyNola

Consiglieri

Overnight works well.  Here's a post from Icerat4 concerning his overnight method. 

Quote from: icerat4 on August 15, 2006, 09:50:09 am
Well i happen to do 2 8 pounders often.And here is my way.Mustard up the pork with any king of yellow mustard.Put the rub on and then wrap in plastic then place in fridge.The next day 1-2 hours before you want to start the smoke take them out of the fridge and leave them sit.Start the smoker at 6-7 pm that same night.SMOKE them for 4-5 hours with alder or what ever wood ya like.Spray apple juice after the 3rd hour of the smoke and there after when you like.Before ya go to bed change the water out.AT about 7-8 the frist one should be done at temps of 195 .Then ftc the 1st one and move the second one down a rack lower.SPRAY apple juice again.A few hours later it should be done at internal temps of 195 remove the second one then ftc that one also.These butts in the ftc should be plenty hot even to pull at 5-6 pm that evening this ftc keep heat a very long time so dont worry about cold food.This is the best and easiest food to do in this bs machine.Make you look like a bbq champ

Here's a thread discussing the method too:  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4528

Good luck on your sleep plans; with the baby, sleeping in is 7:30am over here. 
Consiglieri

FLBentRider

The prep:
First I brine for 24-48 hours in water, salt and Molasses.
Then a spice rub and plastic wrap for 24 hours.

The Smoke:
I _used_ to do the early am starts, but since I lowered my box temp from 220-225 (or whatever MAX on the OBS would do) to 200, They take longer, so I start @ about 2100 (9pm) and set my alarm to empty/refill the water bowl and rotate racks (top to bottom and front to back) at 0100. I rotate the racks again when I get up in the morning and every couple of hours after that until the internal temp hits 190.

The Rest:
I then FTC for up to 5 hours

- Pull and eat!

I usually do 4 butts ~ 32 lbs total - they will usually start coming up to 190 around 1300 (1pm). I check each one individually, since I have seen wide variations in internal temp on different roasts on the rack.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!