• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

new member = new to smoking

Started by vtx1300r, May 18, 2008, 05:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtx1300r

Hi all

Just bought my 1st smoker ... Bradley Digital Smoker 4-rack on Friday.  Did Ribs, pork Butt, and brisket this weekend.  I have a lot to learn and a lot to read on this forum.  They all came out ok, my kids ate it so it was that bad.   Biggest problem was in timing of how much smoke and how long to keep in smoker.   I also bought too small of a brisket and pork butt.  Trip to SAMS or COSCO is in my future.

Going to the rot rally in Austin, in June ... Plan to cook up some good Pork Butt down there.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.

Essentially, 4 hours is enough smoke for any project in the BS.  Some use less.
You should continue to cook after the smoke portion until the internal meat temp is appropriate for what you are cooking.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Welcome vtx...and I follow the same philosophy as Wild...4 hours of smoke or less is good! Uh...what's a rot rally?

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum vtx1300r

The hardest part with this is not getting in a hurry. with a big load (say 4 pork butts) it can take 20+ hours to complete. You are not cooking the meat to "doneness" you are cooking it to "tenderness" which is a different destination altogether.

I take pork butts to 190 degrees internal temperature, then FTC (wrap in Foil, and old Towel, and put in a (no ice) Cooler) for up to 4 hours. This allows you to keep it warm until you want to serve it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

vtx1300r

Quote from: La Quinta on May 18, 2008, 05:34:08 PM
Welcome vtx...and I follow the same philosophy as Wild...4 hours of smoke or less is good! Uh...what's a rot rally?

www.rotrally.com

Republic Of Texas motorcycle rally!  Just a bunch of old bikers .....

vtx1300r

Quote from: FLBentRider on May 18, 2008, 05:57:52 PM
W E L C O M E to the forum vtx1300r

The hardest part with this is not getting in a hurry. with a big load (say 4 pork butts) it can take 20+ hours to complete. You are not cooking the meat to "doneness" you are cooking it to "tenderness" which is a different destination altogether.

I take pork butts to 190 degrees internal temperature, then FTC (wrap in Foil, and old Towel, and put in a (no ice) Cooler) for up to 4 hours. This allows you to keep it warm until you want to serve it.

FLB

"You are not cooking the meat to "doneness" you are cooking it to "tenderness" which is a different destination altogether."  ....  Good advise. 

Also what is the best method to measure the temperature of the meat?  Digital?

La Quinta

Kool...some of my best friends in life are bikers!! :)

Smoking Duck

Welcome VTX!

If you haven't already done so, you might want to invest in a Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer.  They are pretty inexpensive but are a great tool that a lot here use.  You can use this to monitor the temp of your smoker as well as your meat.  You can contact Bryan at www.yardandpool.com.  He can hook you up with one.  He's a forum member and all-around good guy and he'll treat you right.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

tturaider

VTX welcome to the site. There are many pros on this site which I have learned a lot from. R u in TX?  Ive been thinking of goin to the ROT as well....a bunch of us are riding to Ruidossa for the opening weekend of the races.
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

FLBentRider

SmokingDuck has it covered with the ET-73, That is what most of us use. With the digital probes, be carefull when you wash it not to get any water on the area where the wire enters the probe. This will cause you to have to buy a new probe.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

vtx1300r

Thanks all or is that You All here in Texas.  But I was raise in new Jersey ... do not hold that against me.   

ROT is one hell of a good time so if you get a chance try and get there.

Smoking Duck

Actually, I believe it is Y'all there in Texas....if you were in Pittsburgh, it would be yins guys and if you were in NJ, I think it would just be Yo.

I think you should get to know another member on this board.....her screen name is La Quinta and she is originally a Jersey girl.  But, whatever you do, don't say anything about smoked cheese to her.  She now lives in a place that is hot enough to make the devil sigh.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

Hey...vtx...don't mind him...I grew up in Florida with a NJ attitude...I had a big brother so I didn't get my butt kicked on a regular basis!!! :) So...you being a TX transplant is all good for me!! Live in the great state of California now...the land of Gizmos and Consigs and Arcs and O's and WCKS and even weirder people then that!!!

Gizmo

Well, we are loosing a Californian to South east Texas.  My son got a job in Houston and will be leaving in a few months. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/