• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Chicken

Started by smokergirl, May 20, 2008, 03:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokergirl

I am interested in doing chicken in my brad digital- should i do whole or halves?

Calling all recipes hints facts dos and donts. (donts especially)

Thanks as always to the smoker gods

Smokergirl ;D

westexasmoker

Wholes or halves either way ya can't go wrong.  I usually like to brine mine for at least an hour or so, pick your favorite rub and/or injection and smoke @ 200-210 with your choice of wood, of course I like mesquite  ;D but on chicken just a puck or two and then go to a milder wood such as pecan or oak, apple is a nice choice also.  IT of 180 at the thigh and your good to go, if you don't have a temperature probe, when the drumstick moves easily and your juices run clear your there.  Good luck!  I'm a thigh kinda guy so if you have one leftover (doubtful!!) send it my way!  ;)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

West Coast Sausage Maker

Quote from: westexasmoker on May 20, 2008, 03:55:52 PM
I'm a thigh kinda guy so if you have one leftover (doubtful!!) send it my way!  ;)

C

Im a Breast man myself.

yep brining will make a world of difference, Ive recently used ham cure brine on a 5 lb roasting chicken (3 days in the brine) ..It tasted like the best ham I've ever eaten...only it was chicken...
soylent green is people

westexasmoker

Nothing wrong with a good plump breast,,,Ok I'll behave  ::)  A ham cure brine? on  chicken this has me intriqued may have to give that a go!  Smokergirl, LQ has a great receipe on thighs that you could certainly adapt for your whole/half birds.  Chicken is one of the easiest critters to smoke, and I don't think you'll go wrong however you do it!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

When I'm smoking/cooking chicken with skin begin with the vent at least 3/4 opened. This is to allow the moisture to escape, and help the heat source to recover; you can close it to 1/4 - 1/2 after most of the moisture is expelled. If I have chicken that has been minimally processed (no brine injected or less then 2% brine injected) I will give it a flavor brine with no curing salts, and brine for 4-8 hours or use a marinade. To improve smoke flavor, allow the chicken to air dry uncovered over night in the refrigerator, or at least 4 hours prior to smoking. Lightly rub with oil, and rub with your favorite seasonings.

I try to smoke/cook at the highest temperature I can get the cabinet, chicken does not require low and slow. I generally use apple or maple for chicken, and apply about 2 hours of smoke. Cook until the internal temperature of 165°F measured at the thickest part of the thigh for whole chickens or dark meat, or to 155°F for breast meat. I'm a dark meat man, so I mostly just smoke legs and thighs.

When fully cooked in the smoker, poultry skin can get rubbery or leathery, so to improve the skin texture you may want to sprinkle a light dusting of cornstarch when you add your rub. Also many of use remove from the meat from the smoker early and finish on a grill or in a high temperature oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

As to the bringing, I like to brine the chicken overnight in a 3 part water, 1 part vinegar, handful of salt, sugar and pepper flakes. Sometimes a 2 to 1 ratio. The vinegar gives it a real nice taste, not an acidic taste either.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

La Quinta

SG...I agree with westexas...chickens are easy...whether whole/half/parts...etc..Habs instructions are right on and brining is also good (unless you're in a hurry) but keep the skin on (to me) no matter what...you can always remove it to serve if you'd like. You can always do a beer can chicken if this is your first "chicken rodeo"!! :)