• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef Ribs

Started by dbrown, December 05, 2004, 05:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown

We smoked Beef Ribs last weekend - the boneless ones.  They were delicious.  However, when we heated the left overs in the oven.  The ribs were so tough.  Any ideas on this?

Doug

nsxbill

If you have a fish steamer, it would work pretty well...slight bit of water underneath meat sits above on a tray.  Covered and heated until meat warm.  Maintains the moisture level.  Slow cooker and some sauce another idea.  Key is to heat without drying out.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SmokinLarry

When you reheat them in the oven make sure u just warm them and get them out. Any longer than that you might be cooking them some more.

That's my thought.

Oldman

Let your ribs go room temp before you place them in oven. Max temp of oven is 200 degrees if at sea level. (water boils 212 F sea level or abouts--so adjust the temp to your area accordingly to what temp your water boils at.)

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

dbrown

Thanks for the quick replies.  Will try again next weekend.  This forum has been a great source.

Doug

MallardWacker

I think this is the reason I never have tried beef ribs, I have never heard anyone refer to them as "Tender".  If anyone has made them tender and come out good I would like to hear.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

MW,
They are basically just like pork ribs in the fact you have to render the fat in them to make them tender.  I still like pork ribs the best but will fix some beef ones with exceptional flavor for something different.  Heres the marinade I used the last time for beef ribs.
2cups shiraz-cabernet blend(grape juice also works well)
1 cup water
1/4cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar(turbinado)
1Tbsp rosemary
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
I mixed all ingredients in blender then poured over ribs in large plastic bags and put in fridge overnight.
Smoke/cook for 6-8 hrs using the your wood of choice at about 225°f.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Jeff,

You ALWAYS have something good going on.  That sounds worth trying~~for sure.  I have to go to SAMS this week, I'll check on the beef ribs.  So you are saying if I do the ribs at 200 till a internal of 185 or so, things will be tender AND good?

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Jeff,

You ALWAYS have something good going on.  That sounds worth trying~~for sure.  I have to go to SAMS this week, I'll check on the beef ribs.  So you are saying if I do the ribs at 200 till a internal of 185 or so, things will be tender AND good?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you use the marinade I don't see why not.  The wine/grape juice made the last ones I did very tender.  I went back and looked and it took closer to the 8hrs for them to be done.  The ones I purchased were only 1.99 a pound so they weren't a huge investment.  Have fun.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

MallardWacker

Thanks Jeff,

Did you have a internal temp that you shoot for or do you do the pull off the bone thing??

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

MW,
I usually monitor the ribs through the top vent and wait until the meat has pulled away from the bones about 1/2".  At that point I use the twist method(twist end bone intil it gives away easily) until its to my liking.  The only problem with this method is opening the door so I usually wait until I'm pretty sure they are done before I do this.  I would think internal temp would be between 180-190°f.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

MallardWacker

Thanks Jeff~~~I will be trying this.  Looking at where those ribs come from, they should have some great flavor.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

KDX

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">MW,
They are basically just like pork ribs in the fact you have to render the fat in them to make them tender. I still like pork ribs the best but will fix some beef ones with exceptional flavor for something different. Heres the marinade I used the last time for beef ribs.
2cups shiraz-cabernet blend(grape juice also works well)
1 cup water
1/4cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar(turbinado)
1Tbsp rosemary
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
I mixed all ingredients in blender then poured over ribs in large plastic bags and put in fridge overnight.
Smoke/cook for 6-8 hrs using the your wood of choice at about 225°f.

Jeff
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I tried this and they basically came out black. Is this normal?

edit to add....they were Ok but way too smokey I thought and I only used smoke (apple) for the first 3 hours.

Habanero Smoker

The color of your ribs will come out almost black. When in better light you can tell it is a very dark brown, I should qualify this by saying to me it looks like a very dark brown.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigSmoker

Mine were very dark as well.  The wine or juice actually seems to make the meat look dark I think.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com