• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

uh oh

Started by matwell, May 24, 2008, 03:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matwell

Hello All,

I have a quick question. I smoked two large pork butts overnight and when I woke up to change the water and discard the bisquettes my water bowl was empty and some of the used wood was piled ontop of each other. Do you guys think this will be a problem with the end product? will there be an after taste? I guess I may have used more hickory because of the two butts. In the past I would change the water in the morning with no problems. I have about 10 people coming over today and they have had my pulled pork and are looking forward to it. Will they be disappointed? Thanks for the advice!

FLBentRider

I have had this happen once, No one noticed an difference in flavor.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I too have had this happen, well and once I wound up sticking my water bowl on top of the V tray instead of below (lets just say tequila was involved  ;D) everything still turned out fine!  Don't sweat it!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

As stated above the flavor will not be noticeably effected. This is something you should try to prevent, not only for the flavor be effected, but it creates a good condition for a possible fire. That is why the least that should be done is empty the bowl and refill with water after the smoking period has been completed.

When the bowl dries out the spent bisquettes are piled up closer to the heating element. They dry out and begin to absorb the dripping from the meat above. Having grease soak bisquettes near the heat source for a long period of time is not a good thing. Will this always cause a fire no; but the possibility is there.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

matwell

Hello,
Thanks for your input and as always you guys were right on the money. I did not notice any change in taste and nor did my guests. I had nothing but positve feedback. In the future, I will check the water bowl more often. 

Consiglieri

Glad to hear everything worked out.  Any pictures?
Consiglieri

La Quinta

Gotta say...I don't use the Bradley as an oven...I do 4 hours of smoke then move it inside  (no matter what big cut...pork...beef...obviously not fish... I'm cooking)...I am sure there are members that may disagree with that...but it really makes the house smell great while I finish it!!! :)

Smoking Duck

Quote from: La Quinta on May 29, 2008, 06:37:05 PM
Gotta say...I don't use the Bradley as an oven...I do 4 hours of smoke then move it inside  (no matter what big cut...pork...beef...obviously not fish... I'm cooking)...I am sure there are members that may disagree with that...but it really makes the house smell great while I finish it!!! :)

That's the beauty of smoking LQ.  It's a lot like my relations with my wife.....the only one I have to please is me  :o ;D  If others disagree, so what?  Don't give them any of that delicious food you're making and they'll soon change their mind  :D.  I did some spare ribs last night and I brought them into the stove because I felt I would cut down on the cook time if only because I was constantly spritzing/mopping and felt my stove would recover heat faster when I was constantly opening the door.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 30, 2008, 04:31:06 AM

It's a lot like my relations with my wife.....the only one I have to please is me  :o ;D  If others disagree, so what? 

lol  loved it.

*edited because I'm an idiot and forgot how to get a proper quote in these threads.

La Quinta

Giggles....I'm serious...hide the cast iron...I know we have discussed this on the forum before...but good god man...we don't want to read about you in the papers...let's see...

"Wife Had... Had Enough"

Smoking Duck

That's the beauty of it, LQ.  My wife is not at home in the kitchen.  I actually took the pan portion of a Jiffy Pop popcorn (you know the one where the aluminum foil rises as the popcorn pops?) and told her that was cast iron.  Oh, she swings it all right.  And I pretend that it hurts real bad and then guess what?  When she leaves, I start giggling like a school girl.

La Quinta

We should start the cannonization procedures for your wife...(we'll invite Molly McRock)...it does take a very long time...we should start now...:)

Smoking Duck

You're right LQ.  She is a saint.  You know when I married her she was 10 years younger than me (she still is actually  :D).  The main reason I married her was I figured she'd still have enough strength to push me around in a wheelchair when I'm peeing and drooling all over myself.  But, heck, she's been pretty good in these early years as well.  I'm enough to make Jesus cuss on most days......I think you're on to something, LQ  ;D

KyNola

Has nothing to do with the original topic but LQ and SD, I talked with a woman tonight who was 98 years old.  She said "I can only do 5 things now, eat, drink, sleep, pee and look out the window".  She said that while finishing her manhattan at the bar.  Gotta love that attitude!

There's still hope for you Giggling Gosling!

KyNola

La Quinta

I know what ya mean Ky...last time I was in the UK...I met my husband's old band mates in a pub...one of them brought his Mum...she was 90 and kept asking me to get her more Guiness!!! She was a lovely old gal...we had a ball together!! We ate fried food and drank beer together..."it don't get much better then that"!!! :)