• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

BDS Shutdown

Started by skip425, May 24, 2008, 06:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip425

I just received my new BDS and proceeded to season it as the instructions said
smoke for 1 hr at 150F after about 20 min the oven thermostat shut down at the
150 degree mark but the temp continued to rise to over 190. So I opened the
door to check for fire, it seemed ok no fire so I shut the door and assumed
that the smoking element was causing the temp rise.

Is this normal?

Thats when I turned on a small fan that was plugged into the same fixture
as the BDS . The BDS then just shutdown.  I then unplugged the fan and the BDS
and plugged the BDS back in and switched the unit back on with no other problem. 

The voltage is not the strongest in our camp house.

Can a voltage drop cause the unit to shutdown?   

Wildcat

Can't answer that question, but I do know that low voltage can really mess up a fridge, air condition, and many other things.  I have an RV and have burned up some appliances when connected to shore power and get a power drop.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

There are other more qualified to answer this, but I had a similar experience prior to having some renovations done. Previous, my smoker was on a line that was shared with few other appliances that were constantly drawing power. So much power was being drawn by other appliances that the smoker never ran at peak performance. In the summer when I had the air conditioner own, it only got worse.

I know that voltage drop will cause the smoker not to be able to perform the way it should, but mine never shut off, nor was the drop so severe that it shut off or appeared to be off. Either way I would not say this is normal. The problem you are describing I would be concern about using the smoker until I could get an electrician to check the wiring, and maybe install a breaker that will provide more amps.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)