• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Finally ordered my DBS

Started by Smokin Soon, May 25, 2008, 03:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

After much procrastination and forum reading, I finally ordered my DBS from the guys at Yard and Pool, since they seem to be well thought of and active here. I hit it good with bisquettes, bubba pucks, and a Maverick temp thingie. Even ordered Iceman's Sauce!

There is an awful lot to absorb here, with prep and cooking times, but a wealth of info too.

Gizmo

Welcome smokin soon and good luck on your pending voyage.  Don't try to do every recipe in the first day if you can keep the urge at bay. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum Smokin soon!

Lots of knowledge here to be had, little of it mine...

Good luck smokin and remember - It's not FAST food... time is of little consequence - this ain't bakin we're doin'!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum

You'll find a wealth of info here (not much from me!)  ;D  But these guys are awesome!  Oh my advice....Use mesquite   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

Welcome Smoking Soon!  I am the wealth of knowledge the others keep mentioning  8) :o ;D

Well, I'm very knowledgeable in eating smoked foods....not so much in preparing them.  :D

Hope you stick around.....there is more info and recipes here than you can hope to accomplish in a year's period,  However, give it a shot.....the reward is definitely worth the risk  :)

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

Thanks for the support, Im sure I have a lot of dumb questions coming1

La Quinta

Smookin Soon...Welcome to the club!!! I ask a stupid question every day!!! Nice thing about this forum...everybody helps ya!!! :)

Wildcat

Welcome aboard.  The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

S Soon,
Welcome to the forum.  There is a lot of information and really nice folks here.  Let us know how you like the BDS.

KyNola

Smokin Soon

Did my first smoke, it was great. I am very disappointed with the 9:40 hr limits. It makes planning more difficult. I know I can probably buy a Raptor or something, but I would have been better served not to buy the digital.

I have read about the Raptor with mixed views. Can a electrical dummy really install one of these on a DBS? Has anyone looked into a modification on the DBS to bypass the 9:40 hr limits? Do they think everyone just does chicken or ribs?

Arcs_n_Sparks

Smokin Soon,

Welcome to the forum. The time limit problem came up very early in the DBS forum discussion. Points out what happens when you have software engineers writing code that do not smoke. The only work-around I am aware of is restarting the system after you've had it going for awhile, resetting the time limit. I have the OBS, so I've never had an opportunity to try to hack the DBS.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on June 08, 2008, 04:54:51 PM
Did my first smoke, it was great. I am very disappointed with the 9:40 hr limits. It makes planning more difficult. I know I can probably buy a Raptor or something, but I would have been better served not to buy the digital.

I have read about the Raptor with mixed views. Can a electrical dummy really install one of these on a DBS? Has anyone looked into a modification on the DBS to bypass the 9:40 hr limits? Do they think everyone just does chicken or ribs?

It's very simple to hook up, though the instructions that come with it can be confusing. The instructions were writen before Bradley made a few design changes. With the newer Bradley's you will need to replace the electrical power cord that runs between the generator and cabinet with a standard computer power cord. The only other thing you will need to purchase for hook up is a power strip (one with surge protection would be best), because you will need extra outlets. If you decide to get the Raptor/Guru, there are plenty of members here that can help you with the hookup.

Just curious! What are the mixed reviews that you have read. The Guru is one of three temperature control devices, and they were originally developed for wood and charcoal burning pits. Of the three the DigiQII is the most popular. The Raptor is an electrical converter box, that enables the Guru to be used with any electrical heating device up to 1800 watts. So it may be that some the reviews you have read were directed toward the charcoal/wood burning smokers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

Welcome SnS, the 940 is a limitation but you will quickly learn to work around it.  Easy to remember last thing before going to bed is change the water and bump the time back up.  Enjoy, much fun ahead  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)