Smoked hominey casserolle

Started by westexasmoker, May 29, 2008, 05:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

This receipe was inspired from a steakhouse outside of Abilene

3 Cans hominey drained (retain water) yellow or white - Use a combo for a nice contrast

Pre-heat your smoker to 160-180 put your hominey into your veggie griller, must have small holes...duh and smoke for about 10-20 minutes, the tricky part is to not let your hominey start shriveling up, if they start to wrinkle its time to pull.(if you need to re-hydrate your hominey use your retained water)  Not trying to cook it just infuse with smoke.  Your choice of wood (of course I used mesquite  ;D)

8-10 pieces fried or smoked bacon. Cooled and crumbled

1 shallot chopped very fine and sauteed in a skillet just till soft (I like to fry my bacon and then throw the shallot into the drippings to cook)

2 cans chopped green chilis

All into a bowl, salt and pepper to taste a dash of red pepper and garlic powder

And about a half cup shredded cheddar, Mix well and scoop into your favorite casserole dish.  Sprinkle the top with a bit of chili powder and throw a few pats of butter broken up on top.  Cover with more cheddar, however much you want, and pop into a 325-350 degree oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.  Done.  Really you can throw any sort of seasoning in you like!  Enjoy!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Wildcat

Hmmm - sounds interesting.  May give that one a whirl one day as well.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Ok...I will be the stupid question asker...is hominey...like big fat polenta/grits...before they get dried and ground...? I know what they look like...we had them in Florida...but what exactly are they???? Like chick peas?

Wildcat

Can't think of anything that taste like hominey.  It is a type of corn that grits derive from.  Does not taste like corn nor grits.  I love them, wife hates them.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Hominy are corn kernels that have been stripped of it germ and bran. Then it is either boiled then canned or dried and ground into grits. You can usually find canned hominy in the Hispanic section of the supermarket, I generally find the Goya brand in my area.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)