• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Venison Loins

Started by bigcatdaddy, June 03, 2008, 01:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcatdaddy

I'm going to throw a few Venison Loins in the new DBS.  I was thinking of a tower temp of 200 and a internal meat temp of around 120 to 130.  The meat is lean and was wondering what you folks thought about my suggested temps and if I should wrap the loins in Bacon.  I don't want it to dry out.

Any suggestions?

pensrock

The only time I did venison loins was when I made them into canadian bacon. I think if I were doing them without cure or marinade, I would wrap them with bacon because they are so lean. The temps sound good to me, you do not want too high an internal temp because they may dry out. I think hickory would be a good choice for a couple hours. I'd probably sprinkle them with black pepper and garlic powder for seasoning. Let us know how yours turns out.

bigcatdaddy

I guess I forgot to mention I've had them rubbed and sealed for about 24 hrs.

BCD

pensrock

The rub will definatly add flavor but I would still use the bacon to keep them from drying out. I mean after all.... "pork fat rules!". Can never go wrong using bacon.  ;D

Smoking Duck

Bacon Rules.

This ad was brought to you by the Smoking Duck Loves Bacon campaign.  I approve this add.

Remember, rule #1:  You can NEVER go wrong with bacon.  I even like to wrap my bacon in bacon.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Bacon stuffed with bacon and then wrapped in bacon I'm lovin the whole sound of that especially smoked with.............well you know!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

Hmmmm how about some dragon turds? Take some habenero peppers, clean them out and stuff with cream cheese with bacon bits mixed in, then wrap with bacon, smoke/cook like ABT's.  ::)

Smoking Duck

If I made those, I'd be right alongside the dog in the front yard, dragging my arse in the grass........I think I'll stick with the penos  :D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

ah come on, you can't beat a good hab. I'm hoping my nagas come out this year they are many times hotter than a hab, but I'm really not sure how I'll use them, probably smoke, then dry them and grind into a powder.

westexasmoker

Of course it would be me that says, Hmmmmmm thats kinda an interesting idea ya got there pens, but I'm a thinking chopped up habenero or serranos mixed with the cheese/cream cheese/ ham mixture stuffed inside the jalapeno.  ADT 's (atomic dragon turds) that might have to be tried this weekend!

C

pensrock

Or instead of ham you could use leftover brisket or pulled pork?
Damm now I'm gettin hungry!  ;D
I'm sure you'll smoking them with mesquite.  8)

westexasmoker

I think brisket sounds like the plan there, got one aged for 3 weeks that I need to do!  Ya'll have other wood and what is this other wood you speak of??  we will call these pens adt's!!  I like this plan!

C

MRH

Bigcatdaddy,

Here is one i did a while back turned out great!!
Here is the post:  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6892.msg68007#msg68007

Mark

pensrock

MRH,
Thats looks fantastic! I will be trying this for sure.

bigcatdaddy

Got them smoked up last night!  They turned out great.  Ran the internal temp to 135 and pulled'em.  I let them rest for a couple of hours and then sliced them up. OMG!!!  Super tender and just enough smoke.  Had to hold the family back while I was slicing them.  They were eating as fast as I could slice it.  Used my new Marverick-73 and just relaxed with a cold one in my easy chair while smokin.  Thanks for the help everyone!