Another Mango Salsa

Started by dale_MT, June 04, 2008, 07:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dale_MT

Here is another mango salsa recipe.  The cilantro makes it great with a pork using some sort of caribbean or latin style rub (I use a rub with star anise that gets great reviews...anyway I have made this recipe countless times and it is always very well received.

Mango Salsa

1 ½ c mango in ½" dice
½ cup finely diced red pepper
1/3 cup finely diced red onion
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp minced jalapeno
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp minced garlic
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Place all ingredients in a non reactive bowl and stir to blend.  Let sit at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.

In practice, 2 mangos and ½ red bell pepper seem to work out.  If possible, get the yellow mangos instead of the green/rose colored ones. 

To prepare the mango, I peel them with a vegetable peeler then scour one side horizontally and then vertically along the flat side of the seed.  Then just slice vertically.  You will usually only get about two slices on each side.  The flesh right next to the seed can be pretty stringy.  One decent size mango yields about 1 cup of fruit.  So I just use 2 mangos for each batch.  It makes it a little more tart and fruity.

iceman

Thanks for the post dale_MT. Sounds like a must try to me. I think it would go good with my BBQ char su pork tendeloin

Habanero Smoker

Looks good. That is similar to a mango salsa I use on grilled salmon. It's all good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Quote from: iceman on June 04, 2008, 08:49:16 AM
Thanks for the post dale_MT. Sounds like a must try to me. I think it would go good with my BBQ char su pork tendeloin

Did I hear someone say BBQ char su pork tenderloin and not provide a recipe for the hungry masses?  :o ;D ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra