• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Man, that was close

Started by Tiny Tim, June 04, 2008, 02:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

I was almost to the point of needing to try to drink Canada Dry (of Crown Royal or Black Velvet....maybe both).

Dad was having a computer issue, but luckily I had to go get a haircut before I could mess with it too much.  When I got back, he was pretty much worked through the problem, so I went to my desk to see what ya'll had said since I left.  When I sat down, my belly (yeah, I gots a biggun) hit a few keys of my keyboard in combination and made the display turn 90 degrees to the right.

I couldn't duplicate the keystrokes to try to either get back to normal, or force it further around, so I called my computer guru....who had never heard of this problem.  He was going to check into it to try to figure out a solution and call me back later.  I couldn't just sit here doing nothing, so I kept playing with it to see if I could accidently get it back to normal.  I had seen a pop up menu before it all went screwy, so I was looking at each menu that popped up when I made key combinations....one came up with a graphics option so I clicked it.  In there it had something about alignment or something, so I clicked on that, and saw that it had 90* checked for the rotation.  Went back to checking the normal, hit the "apply" button, and all came out good.

I may just have me a celebratory drink with 2 fingers of Captain in it (index finger and pinky, spread as far as I can get them), just for the heck of it. :D

La Quinta

Really glad you are back on Tiny!! Missed ya!!

westexasmoker

I remember seeing this problem at work, had us all freaked out (sad thing is I work in IT)  ::)  We had to get our server admin to fix it!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Gizmo

Sounds like a video driver setting for a monitor that can rotate so you can use the rectangular LCD monitors in a portrait mode.  I just installed a new monitor and the driver for that function.  The driver made my computer crawl and I was tired of typing 3 or 4 words before they showed up on the screen.
Removed the driver and was back up with normal speed.

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I know how scary that can be, and it makes it very difficult to navigate the mouse around the screen. I have a Samsung monitor that can swivel 90° verticle (to portrait mode). Which is great for viewing web pages, and document files. At first I needed a special driver when I first purchased the monitor, now ATI graphic drivers include that feature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokin Soon

Happened to me once also

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, change the settings on your graphics card so that the desktop reverts to its standard appearance. To do this, follow these steps.

Note The following steps are designed for an Intel graphics card. These steps may be different for a graphics card from another manufacturer. For more information, see the documentation for your graphics card. 1. Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.
2. In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
3. Click the Graphic Properties tab, and then click HotKey.
4. Hold down CTRL+ALT, and then restart the computer. Or, click to select the Disable HotKeys check box, and then restart the computer.