Top Vent adjuster dial...(spin-thingy)

Started by Thevenin, December 06, 2004, 05:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thevenin

I'm still having trouble getting the Smoker up to temp.  I pre-heat it as hot as I can get it (near 300) then load my meat which drops it down to about 200 or so.  Then usually I can hold the temp there with the guru.  However, today being a touch colder and having a bit less time to pre-heat I put in some ribs and the temp dropped down to about 175, I want it to be closer to 225.  And now an hour later it's SLOWLY creeping up to temp.
I've only used my Smoker about a half dozen times and the little spin dial on the top has never sat flush against the smoker, it kinda does a butterfly wing thing where it pops up from the center out.  This makes a fairly crappy seal on the smoker and when fully closed really doesn't make TOO much difference vs. Fully open.  There's some, but not much.  I was under the impression I just wanted a crack open to let a bit of the smoke out.
Also this butterfly wing gap lets smoke out all around the thing and it does a very nice job of glueing itself solid quite nicely and takes a bit of force to get it to break free after a smoke.  
Is all this normal or should I get another spin thing and just screw it on where the old one was?
If someone tells me how to post a photo I'll take one of it.

Thev.

BigSmoker

Thev.,
To post pics you will need to make an account at //www.photobucket.com (its free).  Take the pic and upload it to your computer.  Upload the pic to photobucket.  Copy the URL underneath the pic.  Reply to your post and click the pic icon in the above menu bar and paste the URL between the brackets.  Its done.  

Just so you know my top vent does the same thing.  Maybe add a couple of fire bricks in the bottom of the Bradley(preheated in the oven) to help keep the temp up and or cut recovery time[;)].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Thev,

These are just my thoughts here.  To me there isn't any reason to keep the vent all the way closed when cooking.  If you do this you WILL get too much moisture build up and then you will have nothing more than a <s>cookshack</s> type smoker with alot of moisture coming out of the bottom of the BS.  Also the vent wheel does not need to be a complete seal either.  Start smoking with it about 1/4 to 1/3 open.  The Only time I open it more is if I want ot crisp my chicken skin at towards the end of the smoke.

As far as the temp drop, that is normal, depending on the meat and the amount and what the temp of it is, this could very quite a bit.  This a low and slow smoker not a oven, just be patient.  When loading the meat just keep the control all the way up then adjust as needed when it comes to temp.  Just my thoughts and I HTHs.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

psdubl07

I'm curious if it doesn't have something to do w/ the Guru???
I experience temp drop as well, but it's usually not more than 25-30 degrees, and I would say it's back up to temp w/in a half hour give or take a little.
I've compensated for this by just getting it 25 degrees or so above where I want it to be when the meat 1st goes in.

I haven't found the vent to make a huge difference except for that it will retain a lot more moisture if it's fully closed.  It's normal for it to be all sticky after a smoke.  Just pop off the screw and clean it each time.