Brisket Question?????????

Started by bigcatdaddy, June 09, 2008, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcatdaddy

I've got a question for all you Brisket Smokers.  I'm getting ready to do a flat.  Had my wife get on from the meat shop.  When I got ready tonight to put the rub and CYM on I noticed that there was hardly any fat cap.  Should I do something when I smoke it to help keep it moist.  I'm guessing it's about a 5 pounder trimed.  Any sugestions????  Thanks in advance!!

BCD

westexasmoker

You could go with some bacon on top or just give it a good mop every so often!  I typically go for about 4 hours smoke and then boat it overnight in the oven!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

bigcatdaddy

Should I put the Bacon on the Brisket or on the racks above it?

westexasmoker

I'd go with the bacon on top, but I must tell ya I've never done it that way  ;D  I'd go with a good basic beer mop, gonna lose some cabinet temp, but just adjust your smoke time and then into the oven to finish, most important is the FTC which will allow your meat to relax and pull the juices back in!  Good luck!

C

HCT

I've had a few briskets as you described and never had any problems. I just smoke it after the overnite rub. Sometimes I'll tent it and fisish it in the oven. During the oven process I'll mop it with whatever is handy., Apple juice, juicy juice, beer, coke, root beer, etc.   
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

westexasmoker

Has anybody tried an injection with brisket?  I haven't but I do with all of my poultry and have done a ham, with good results, but have never thought about trying a brisket....I've got one aged and ready to go for this weekend!

C

iceman

I did a small flat in the Reveo. I didn't notice much difference in the end other than it took longer to smoke then the one that was not Reveo'd. What the heck, give it a try. If anything it will add some flavor.  :)

bigcatdaddy

Well, I'm going to give it a try.  Been rubbed and ready to go.  I'll throw it in on Thursday and let you all know how it turned out.  I'll try to take some pics!!!!!!

Gizmo

Quote from: westexasmoker on June 10, 2008, 10:26:33 AM
Has anybody tried an injection with brisket?  I haven't but I do with all of my poultry and have done a ham, with good results, but have never thought about trying a brisket....I've got one aged and ready to go for this weekend!

C

Yes I have done one.  Creole Butter injection.  Would have to say it was the best brisket flavor that I have ever done. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/