Propane tank danger

Started by westexasmoker, June 09, 2008, 05:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Saw this on another forum, be careful out there!

"There was a meth training/workshop yesterday and there was a lot of great new information presented. I wanted to let you all know about one thing that I was not aware of.
Meth cooks are getting the propane tanks from the exchanges at Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. and emptying them of the propane. Then, they are filling them with anhydrous ammonia (which they now have a recipe for by the way). After they are finished with them, they return them to the store. They are then rfilled with propane and sent back for you and me to buy. Anhydrous ammonia is very corrosive and weakens the structure of the tank. It can be very dangerous when mixed with propane and hooked up to our grills, etc.
According to our presenter, you should inspect the propane tank for any blue or greenish residue around the valve areas. If it is present, refuse to purchase that one."

More info
http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=529

I only use propane for my turkey fryer or when I do a crab boil, but sure some of ya'll have the BS in propane and gas grills.  Anyway saw this and thought it should be passed along!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Wildcat

Wow!  What next?  I am glad that I purchase my tanks new and take them to be filled myself.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Never liked the exchange game either.  Always have used my own for refilling.  Next grill will be natural gas from the house supply.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Man! What will these dudes think of next. That's bad news.
Thanks for letting us know.

Consiglieri

Everytime I learn something about the meth creation process it amazes me  that anyone would voluntarily use the stuff.  The list of ingredients I've seen includes lithium (typically from car batteries), Drano, freon, brake fluid, pseudophed, lye, battery acid, muriatic acid.  And now Anhydrous Ammonia.  I'm sure the process isn't as simple as mixing ingredients over heat, but all the same, the silk purse/sow's error cliche seems appropriate, if understated. 

The process creates toxic byproducts and cooking residue can turn a residence and surrounding property into an environmental hazard.   

The "garbage" (the part that isn't sold) is frequently dumped in orchards or farmland out here. 
Consiglieri

West Coast Sausage Maker

Quote from: Consiglieri on June 10, 2008, 04:23:05 PM
lithium (typically from car batteries), Drano, freon, brake fluid, pseudophed, lye, battery acid, muriatic acid.  And now Anhydrous Ammonia. 

If anyone wants to get these items...I  can hook you up.    ;D
the bradley makes a great meth lab also   :)
soylent green is people

Consiglieri

Consiglieri