5 speed tranny

Started by Oldman, June 14, 2008, 08:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Well it looks like the original tranny in my MG is dieing (it is only 36 years old-- you would think it should last a 100 years~~!) It is a 4 speed with the 1st gear not a sink grear.  There is a Datsun 5 speed tranny that will fit the Midget. I'm told it is all but bullet proof.

We have to find one in a junk yard and then rebuild it. We have someone already who will do the convertion on the bell.

While I was not going to put anymore monies in the midget this year I must say I will not miss the scream of the non-sinked 1st gear. (Plus there is a benefit of have a 5th gear.) Also, I think I will upgrade all breaks to  oversized disks-- on this I may wait until next year. (Currently only the fronts are disk and they are rather small.)

Oh well what is money for anyway???
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Oldman on June 14, 2008, 08:20:05 AM

Oh well what is money for anyway???

To play with. :D

Looks like you're doin' a pretty good job of it too....keep it up. ;D

car54

Olds,

I have a1975 MGB and I wish I had an extra gear just to keep the RPM down at cruising speed. I will keep that transmission in my mind for future conversions. In Milwaukee we have a shop called MG LTD who work on nothing but MG's. He does a V8 conversion with a transmission. I am not sure what make he uses. Here is there #414 -529-3200 if you have any questions. He also raced them in SCCA.

Brad

Oldman

Brad you might get a V-8 in a B model, I don't know, but you'll never get one in a midget.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

car54

Olds, you are probably right. I never thought of that.

Brad