• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bacon Salt

Started by Habanero Smoker, June 15, 2008, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

When I first saw this name I thought it was a cure.

After reading an article about J.D.'s Bacon Salt, I decided to try it. I went online to see where it was sold locally, and found it in our nearby Stop & Shop; there is even a nearby pool company selling this stuff. ??? Well I was very skeptical, but bought it anyway ($4.50 for each 2.75 oz bottles (Original, Hickory, and Peppered). As the name suggests it mainly salt, but you don't need much to season the food.

I've been using this for a week; so far I have tried; Bacon and Beer Steamed Clams; Bacon Salt Scrambled Eggs; Bacon Salt Macaroni Salad; (using the Bacon Salt Mayonnaise recipe; mayonnaise can be also use to make a BS-LT sandwich – no bacon needed). I've used it at the table as a seasoning for steak fries, mashed potatoes and various vegetables. This evening I'm going to try it on popcorn. I've added some of the Original Bacon Salt to a steak rub, applied it to a steak and grilled it; it came out great. As a friend of mine would say "this stuff is too good to be healthy for you". ;D

Of the three the Original is the most versatile, for adding to dishes. It adds a basic bacon flavor that you can build around. The Hickory Bacon Salt has a much stronger hickory flavor than the original. The Peppered Bacon Salt has a nice spicy kick, so if added to a recipe you will need to reduce the amount of any hot pepper your recipe calls for. All three are great for seasoning at the table, but for table use the Hickory and Peppered flavors are superior. I like this stuff so much that I will be ordering the larger containers, and start using this in some brines and dry cures; and besides it a lot cheaper buying it in bulk.

It's vegetarian; it's kosher, and it makes everything tastes like bacon. What else can the world ask for? I might even try it on chicken.

Article:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/life/story/405785.html

J.D.'s Bacon Salt site:
http://www.baconsalt.com/
While there check out their "Operation Bacon Salt".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Alright Habs, ya got me. Went online and will be ordering the big ones. :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

pensrock

I looked online and it is not sold in PA. But it sounds really good so I may have to order some online to try it out.

West Coast Sausage Maker

Ive been making Ceasers with it for a long time now.  Just been afraid to come out of the closet till now.   :)
soylent green is people

Habanero Smoker

Pensrock and HCT;

Let me know how you like it. One of the reasons I got it was to cut down on my intake of fat, but ended up getting hooked on the BS-Mayo. :-[

TBS;
What are Ceasers? If it is something obvious, you have to excuse me. It early. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smoking Duck

I was thinking salad, but then got to wondering how in the world he'd smoke lettuce without it wilting?  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

West Coast Sausage Maker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 17, 2008, 03:23:05 AM

TBS;
What are Ceasers? If it is something obvious, you have to excuse me. It early. :)

sorry I mispelled it should be Caesar Its a drink of course.  ;D  Its a Canadian thing eh   ;)
ckick the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar

Its simular to a Bloody Mary only better
soylent green is people

Habanero Smoker

I've never heard of that drink. I've never had a drink (one that I can remember anyway) that contained clam juice. Although I vaguely recall one with a worm. All the more reason to try it. Looks like an interesting drink. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta

WOW TBS...interesting drink...the birth of Clamato...YIKES...I'd try it tho...just to say I did...kinda...maybe...what is the Canadian relationship?

West Coast Sausage Maker

Its a very comon drink here. its exelent on a hot day on the patio.  when you order it, they ask how spicy do you want it?
Its THE best drink while tending to the smoker. when I travel in the US, I have trouble finding it at bars and restaurants.
here it is www.mottsclamato.com
soylent green is people

Mr Walleye

Motts Clam Juice also comes in extra spicy too. Another drink that is great is beer and Motts Clamato. This is referred to here in Canuckville as a "beer & clam". Lots of people order it in a bar that way. Mmmmm.... it's good any time of day!

To my knowledge I believe clamato juice is very difficult to get in the USA for some reason.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

Quote from: La Quinta on June 19, 2008, 03:32:13 PM
WOW TBS...interesting drink...the birth of Clamato...YIKES...I'd try it tho...just to say I did...kinda...maybe...what is the Canadian relationship?

Should have mentioned something when you were down for the Boil LQ.  Have some Clamato in the fridge.  Bought it for a Mexican version of ceviche.

Clamato can be found in a lot of grocery stores here in CA.  Almost any Mexican store or in the Mexican food section in the chain stores.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

We have it here...just seems a little bit odd....but I'm not a real tomato juice fan to start...but add clams??? I love clams (don't get me wrong) but put them with tom juice???? Can't seem to wrap my little pea brain around the flavor combo?

KyNola

Clamato Juice is in all of the groceries here in Kentucky so it can't be too hard to obtain in the US! ;)

KyNola

NEGGS1

T.B.S. for president, i really like his thinking

NEGGS1