Yes, more jerky ?

Started by car54, June 16, 2008, 09:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I have some time off of work and would like to make jerky for the 1st time. I have done the searches on the forum and it looks like there are 2 methods.

1. Season and CURE overnight to stop bacteria.

2. Marinade then cook to above 165 degrees to kill bacteria.

Can some please explain both methods, their advantages and temperature and times.  Please be specific.

I was thinking of cutting to 1/4 of an inch and marinating in my reveo.

I also have a Nesco dehydrator that gets up to about 130 degrees when empty.

I would do more research on my own but my neck is getting very sore due to my surgery.

Because of all the jerky questions from all the members has some one thought of doing a jerky primer either on this site or the recipe site.

Thanks much, Brad

Gizmo

I have done both and prefer the dry cure over the wet.  I love the taste of High Mountain original blend so that is what I have been doing most for the last several months.  I smoke mine then put it in the dehydrator.  I have a Nesco as well but it has a temperature dial and claims to go to 165 Deg.  Don't know why but have never measured it.  Will have to remember that next time.

The wet marinade is by far quicker as you don't need the 12 hours for the cure to do its work.  It does take longer to dehydrate than the dry cure. 

If you have any further questions, ask away.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/