sausage making on the racks instead of hanging on sticks

Started by wolf, June 18, 2008, 01:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf

im thinking of buying a six rack smoker,to make my brats,kielbasa ect,im used to using smokers with sausage hanging from sticks,has anybody done it with the racks? does it work as good? and i do about 50 lbs at a time will the 6 rack handle that? ty

geofite

You can use the Bradley with sticks. Just get some wooden doweling from the hardware store and cut them to fit the Bradley. I did this for my first try at kielbasa making and it worked just fine. I hung 15 pounds of kielbasa in my 4 rack smoker and there was plenty room for a lot more.

Click on this link to see my first kielbasa experiment.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7061.msg70066#msg70066

lophole

Habanero Smoker

Wolf;
Welcome to the forum.

I use to use sticks, but found using the racks much easier. The racks makes it very easy to rotate the sausage for more even cooking. Some sausages you will get slight grid marks in the bottom of the sausage, if that is a concern.

I have the OBS; I only do 10 pounds at the most at one time, so I can't answer if you can smoke 50 pounds at one time, but I don't thing you would want to put that much of a load in the smoker. There are ways to add racks by using spacers. A search on this forum will give you information on how to do that. You can also add additional racks by inverting one rack on top of the other, but this would not be advisable for sausages as thick as brats. Inverting the racks does not provide enough room for the sausage on the bottom rack.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Welcome, wolf!  Just a reminder....if you do go with wooden dowels, just make sure they are not treated in any way.  I'm pretty sure if they are, whoever eats the sausage will end up with the hershey squirts at the very least.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

Thanks for the visual Giggles!!! :(

I do sausage all the time on the racks...no biggie...as Habs mentioned...you do get the rack marks...but there are a lot more "seasoned" sausage makers on here then me Wolf.