• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OK.... one last question about belly bacon........

Started by firerescueman, June 27, 2008, 08:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firerescueman

Hey guys......   the last of the belly is gonna come off of the smoker in about another hour.    Boy does it look good!!!

Here's my question:   In reading alot of other posts about bacon,  Many have stated to wait a couple of days before slicing.  These are all posts regarding Canadian Bacon,  but would this apply to Belly bacon as well?   How long should it rest before slicing and packing?

I had plans of slicing later tonight and vacuum sealing it,  but thought I'd better ask before I screwed up.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

Gizmo

Chill it (semi freeze), slice and enjoy when ever.
Actually, I will slice up what I will use in a few weeks and freeze the rest.  You may find the smoke flavor will intensify after a day or two, but it will be great right away.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

HCT

Giz iz right, you can use it right away but it really is better if you let it sit a day or 2.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Mr Walleye

Jeff

I've never done belly bacon but I have done lots of Canadian bacon. I think Habs put it best, the 2 day rest in the fridge before slicing allows the smoke flavor to balance out through out the meat. It is similar to what everybody does with cheese, although it doesn't take as long.

That's the hardest part of making bacon.... waiting!  ;)

Likes others have indicated though... sometimes ya just can't wait!  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes