• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

BACON WRAPPED CHICKEN

Started by sherlock, July 10, 2008, 05:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

I have used Old's recipe several times and everybody loves the results. My only problem is that most of the cheese is not contained and melts out. I have tried to wrap them more securely but the cheese still melts out.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What can be done to lock in the cheese?

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43

FLBentRider

I have had the same issue. It seems like there is more Cheese on the V-tray and in the drip bowl than in the finished product.

I have considered:

1. Reducing the amount of Cheese.

2. Only putting the Cheese on the first layer.

3. Researching the melting points of different cheese(s) and changing my cheese selection to one that will hold up better.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I also had the same problem first time I made these, along with the beef wraps, the only thing I do different now is instead of rolling it up fold it up, kinda like a taco that way it can only ooze out the ends...and then the biggest key is enough bacon to seal the ends.  Seems to be little less cheese lose.  To add to the cheesy, after smoked throw a slice on top of the wrap whlie staying warm in the oven.

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

I have seen a hi-temp cheese selection on several of the sausage supply sites. It may help with that, I am not sure.
Here's one I found

http://www.psseasoning.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=2623

FLBentRider

Looks interesting, Smokin Soon. it looks like its a cubed product, might be tough to get it to roll.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

vicat

I find it helps to pound the chicken as thin as possible without making them transparent. Also avoid the temptation of over stuffing... Thinly sliced ingredients work best. I use an extra piece of bacon and as many tooth picks as needed to seal the ends.

Frank

West Coast Kansan

Even low and slow there will be some leakage.  Try for the best seal possible and keep temps down.  The cheese hanging from the trays provides me with snacks about half way through.  Nice smokey flavor goes great with cheap mexican beer.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Stargazer

Quote from: Smokin Soon on July 10, 2008, 05:57:57 PM
I have seen a hi-temp cheese selection on several of the sausage supply sites. It may help with that, I am not sure.
Here's one I found

http://www.psseasoning.com/cart/index.php?target=products&product_id=2623

The PS Seasoning hi-temp cheddar and pepper jack has a very good flavor and has a high melting point. Although I havent smoked regular cheese in itself which Im wanting to coldsmoke a few blocks sometime to experiment with, but I have used the PS Seasoning hi-temp cheddar cheese for making cheddarwurst and pepperjack for taco flavored brats, and they always come out excellent and seems to work very well for me.
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

bigcatdaddy

I'm going to give Westexasmoker recipe with the beef a try tonight.  I've already have them rolled and ready to go with a few chicken ones.  I made 7 beef and 3 chinken wraps and used close to 3#'s of Bacon.  I also seasoned with some of ice's rub.  Hopefully I can cantain as much cheese as possible.  I'll post so pics later.
BCD.

FLBentRider

Maybe we should just cut to the chase and put the cheese on the outside...
:D

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bigcatdaddy

At the rate I'm using bacon, I need to have a hog made into it!!!!!! ;D

westexasmoker

Bingo Bango cheese on the inside, the key here is wrapped tight with bacon and I mine tight as BCD said 3 lbs is about right!  And still loose some, I'm convinced you'll always loose some so throw a slice on top in the oven as they stay warm...the only other thing I can say is..Its tricky..I've had some dry as a bone (my fault) , so I'm thinking pull a bit early and give a spash of AJ in a foil pan  and heat in the oven at low heat!  But still yummy...Prob need to change this recipe instead of the shrooms the roasted red bells is much better....Dang maybe use both.....Next time!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

Quote from: bigcatdaddy on July 12, 2008, 03:40:33 PM
At the rate I'm using bacon, I need to have a hog made into it!!!!!! ;D

I think everytime someone accesses the "bacon wrapped" recipe section, pigs tremble....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!