Spicy Almonds

Started by FLBentRider, July 12, 2008, 10:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I am trying out a Spicy Smoked Almond recipe from Charcuterie.

It involves cold-smoking the almonds, then coating them in a oil-spice mixture, then roasting in the oven.

If it turns out well I'll post the recipe.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Sounds great, let us know. BTW.... the hotter the better!  ;)

FLBentRider

There is:

2 T vegetable oil
1 T Kosher salt
2 t Chili powder
1 t Black pepper
1/4 t Cayenne
1/2 t Garlic powder

per lb.

shouldn't be too hot.

I'll "kick it up" once I have a baseline.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

Spicy Smoked Almonds - from the book Charcuterie - page 95

1 lb Almonds
2 T vegetable oil (I used 1 T for a batch - seemed OK)
1 T Kosher salt
2 t Chili powder
1 t Black pepper
1/4 t Cayenne
1/2 t Garlic powder

1. Cold-Smoke Almonds for 2 to 3 hours ( I used Hickory)

2.  Pre-Heat oven to 375

3. Combine the oil and spices in a bowl and toss with the almonds to coat. Spread them out on a baking sheet and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring several times. Remove from oven, taste, and toss with more salt if desired. ( I did 15 minutes, stirring every 3)

4. The nuts can be stored up in an airtight container up to two weeks. ( they will never last that long in my house)

Note - I am going to double the cayenne for the next batch.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Just out of curiosity FLBent...why do they need to be cold smoked...couldn't you just hot smoke? And no oven required? Frankly...just asking to adapt the recipe to my quirky environment!!

FLBentRider

I'm not sure why the cold smoke. It wasn't really a cold smoke in my environment, but the time the 3 hours were up, the bradley dial was pushing 150.

I was just excited to "cold-smoke" something that I didn't think I could ruin if the temp got too high.

I suppose you could try to combine the steps.

I usually brine them for 24 hours, fan-dry and hot-smoke with 3 hours of Hickory, but that is a different recipe.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Lemme tell ya FLBR...for me 150...is cold smoked right now...maybe the hot dry smoke pulls out too much oil in the nuts??? Just a guess...

FLBentRider

The recipe  I used to use was a hot smoke, I never noticed any oil. You do have to rotate the racks fairly frequently to keep them from scorching.

This recipe is definitely higher in fat that the dry-hot-smoke, but it is higher in flavor too.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Flbr, are these almonds raw or already roasted?  ???  I've got some homemade chipolte, cayenne and hab powders waiting for something new to use them on. They are great on the pretzels, I'm thinking of making a batch of pretzels, almonds and maybe penuts then mixing together for a spicy mix. Everyone will be reaching for the closest adult beverage after eating a handful of these!  ;) ;D

FLBentRider

They are raw. The 3lb bag in the baking section @ Sams club.

I do about 3lbs every other week.

low carb snack. along with the jerky.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

The nearest Sams club is a couple hours away so I'll look at the regular Wal-mart. Thanks.

IKnowWood

FLBR, I call this warm smoking, puck only.  I have done almonds before and used the roasted shelled ones and they hold good.  I try not to hot smoke them as the natural oils of the nut will be drawn out and leave you with a pretty hard nut and the blend of seasoning and crunch is not so appealing.  I made that mistake before.

I like using Maple smoke with the nuts myself, it adds a little more hearty sweetness to it, but the hickory has a more familiar taste also.  Its all nutty good.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

chrispy

FLBR,

What do you use for screens??  I made some from 1/4" hardware cloth, but I am concerned about using them, as they are galvanize coated.  I am thinking about purchasing some stainless harware cloth instead.

ChrispY

FLBentRider

I was using cheesecloth, now I use the high temp jerky screens from Yard and Pool.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: chrispy on September 27, 2008, 03:07:05 AM
FLBR,

What do you use for screens??  I made some from 1/4" hardware cloth, but I am concerned about using them, as they are galvanize coated.  I am thinking about purchasing some stainless hardware cloth instead.

ChrispY

Chrispy

Don't use anything that is galvanized in your smoker especially with any type of food contact. It will impart an awful taste into the food and it's definitely not good for you. I've built a couple of smokers and everything I've read says galvanized is no no.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes