first experiment

Started by snowmon, July 17, 2008, 06:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 18, 2008, 07:29:21 PM
Bones down here.

Ditto that. Bones down, no flippy da ribby.

snowmon

I got another stupid question. I read somewhere on this form about pulling the membrane off the back of ribs. If that is the case what is the best way to do this.  I just got to eat some of my first project of ribs.  They turned out pretty good. They were the first ribs I have ever ate without BB sauce and I loved them. Thanks to the receipe from Ice and everyone else that gave me advice. The bradley and everybody on this form is awsome!

Scotty-G

It's a good idea to pull the membrane off.  I typically grab a small sharp pairing knife and gently dig under the membrane on the bone side of the rib.  Once I lift up a bit of the membrane and gently slide a finger (covered in a paper towel to make it easier) under the membrane, grip the membrane.  Then pull hard and rip off as much of just the membrane a possible.  Repeat if you don't get the entire membrane in one attempt.  Then season . . .
;D  ;D  ;D

FLBentRider

Snowmon,

Congrats on the ribs!

I use an inverted spoon to get at the membrane, then yank it off like the others. I also take the opportunity to remove any fat I can.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

iceman

I use catfish skinning pliers. They are under $5.00 at Sportsman Warehouse. You can really get a good grip on the membrane with them.

West Coast Kansan

Just lift and edge with tool of your choice and pull it off using a paper towel for grip.

I finally figured out it is all about temperature.  As you approach room temp the membrane is pretty forgiving and easy to remove.  :)

If that does not work drill some holes through the bones and mount it securely to the kitchen counter.  The membrane can then be removed with a light touch and back and forth motion with the tip of a chain saw runnng at maximum rpm.  ;)

Alternatively, score the dickens out of it with a knife...  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

snowmon

I was leaning toward using a power sander to get rid of the membraine, my sawsaw. ;D