first experiment

Started by snowmon, July 17, 2008, 06:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowmon

I'm going to try BB ribs for my first project.  After reading a few posts in regards to this I have come to rhe conclusion it may not be the best choice but I have made my mind up.  I've been looking at Iceman's post and I'm probably going that route. I'm going to be filling my 6 rack bradley with ribs and was wondering about rack rotation. Do you rotate top to bottom, or bottom to top, or just move each rack down or up one level every so often. I also need to know how often to rotate the racks. Thanks up front for your help. I know all of you know this from your past experiancesin regards to your first smoke, I'm really looking forward to my first meal out of the bradley. If you can think of anything else I need to know I would really appreciate that info to. Thanks Again

Snowmon

Gizmo

Don't recall Ice's full write up verbatum but I would say Rotate once an hour if/when you spritz with Juice.  How many Bradley racks are you doing?  Rotate so the very bottom rack always goes on top as that is the largest variation.  Move the rest of the racks down 1.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

I go bottom to top, and also reverse the racks front to back.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

snowmon

Do I wait till I start spritzing to start the rotation, or do I start the rotation from the begining?

rcger

Quote from: snowmon on July 18, 2008, 06:56:12 AM
Do I wait till I start spritzing to start the rotation, or do I start the rotation from the begining?

I really hate to open the tower.  There's so much heat lost.  Any other thoughts on this?
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

snowmon

I've read somewhere here that some people use bricks to help the temp recover.  I'm going to go by a couple and try it myself.

FLBentRider

I use 'em. Regular red bricks double wrapped in HD foil. I don't want anything to get into the bricks but heat.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bsheger

Definately make sure to reverse the racks from front to back also.  The lower racks will get more heat on the back side due to the heating element location.  I did not due that on my first load, and the ribs were browned more on one side than the other.

snowmon

Icemans directions calls for spritzing after an hour and a half. The spritzing solution calls for apple juice and 1 part oil. Is it a 1 part to 1 part mixture or what???? I also would like some input in regards to smoke time for ribs. Thanks again. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

iceman

Quote from: snowmon on July 18, 2008, 12:04:56 PM
Icemans directions calls for spritzing after an hour and a half. The spritzing solution calls for apple juice and 1 part oil. Is it a 1 part to 1 part mixture or what???? I also would like some input in regards to smoke time for ribs. Thanks again. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

You can use 3 parts apple juice to 1 part oil. You don't have to use oil at all if you don't want to. It's not a set deal on the spritzing either. Some times I do and sometimes I don't. Depending on what smoker I'm using I usually run about 2 hours of smoke on the load then the rest is just cook time. Plan on around 6 hours or so total cook time at 200F. I like to boat them up after 4 total hours and drizzle the mopping sauce over them and cover tightly then finish them that way. Then I'll toss them on the grill over high heat for just a minute or two then serve. Just cook the ribs until the bone can be pulled out easily and you should be good to go.

FLBentRider

You might want to take a look at the following, it was using Spare ribs and not Baby Backs, so the oven time would be roughly half. These came out F A N T A S T I C !!

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7592.0

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

snowmon

Should you flip the ribs over???

Gizmo

I never do.  Bones down all the way.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

Giz is correct bone down always.....!  No flippe..bad llama!!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!