Newest PID kits or installs 2008

Started by nailerdog, June 29, 2008, 11:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nailerdog

Planning on ordering the parts to install a PID in the smoke generator housing.  I have found the link that shows Bubbagumps install from 2006.  Does anyone sell a complete package for a similar installation in 2008?

Thanks

Mr Walleye

Hi Nailerdog and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to a members web site. He has complete details including pictures of his installation of a PID into the smoke generator of an OBS.
http://www.n9adg.com/articles/bbq/bradley-smoker-temperature-controller.html

Here is a link to my build which includes all the part numbers as well. It seems the general consencis is the Auber PID Controller & SSR with an Omega TC.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4735.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Oldman

I will add that I would give thought twice to putting the PID in the generator cabnet.  Generators do die. Replacment parts are almost impossible to find.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

pensrock

Olds, Good point, it makes a nice looking unit but if/when the generator fails you have to reinstall the PID into the new generator. Making twice the work.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: pensrock on July 17, 2008, 03:10:12 PM
Olds, Good point, it makes a nice looking unit but if/when the generator fails you have to reinstall the PID into the new generator. Making twice the work.

Or...

Just install the guts of the new generator in the old case!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum nailerdog!

I too saw the slick look of the PID in the SG. I considered building one, but my project list is too long already. I just ordered a pre-built one, and the plus side is that it is portable, you could use it to control your crock-pot if you wanted to.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome aboard nailerdog

I'm with everyone else, installed in the SG look cool..but I'd go with a pre-built or build your own its really not that hard...heck I even did it in cloud of mesquite smoke!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

car54

I have my PID as a stand alone unit. That way I can use it for my charcoal grill which is set up with an intake blower to control the temp along with the PID.

Brad

MRH

Car54,

I would like to see a pic of your charcoal unit with the blower if you have it.  Sounds interesting.

Mark

car54

MRH,

Here is a link to the set up I have with the same type of ceramic grill.

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=51

It is from www.thebbqguru.com , who have some innovative products.

Brad

dick621

welcome nailerdog.  I put my PID in the smoke generator and now wish I had built a stand alone. If it wasn't for the holes it would leave I would change in a heartbeat.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho