Question for Olds

Started by BigSmoker, December 11, 2004, 07:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

Today at the supermarket the precooked sprial sliced hams were on sale for .99/lb.  Well for 9 bucks I couldn't pass them up.  So my question is can you t-shirt one of these guys and it come out good?

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">sprial sliced hams <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Umm I've never done a sprial ham before. I think if I was to try it I would tie the ham up with butcher string so the layers stayed tight against each other.

Now this raises an interesting idea. After the cold smoking would I or should I cut the strings and then wrap the ham while still in the T-Shirt in plastic for 7 days.... Now don't blame me if this goes South on you, but I think I would make sure the T-shirt was good an wet, and I would cut the strings, wrap in plastic and then rotate the ham daily by 1/4 turn for 7 days. Then bake it as you would normally.

I just pulled my cold smoke ham from last Sunday and at the moment I'm allowing it to go to room temp before I bake it tomarrow. I got to say the Duck-man is correct about using pecan for the smoke. The liquid in this T-shirt is to die for. Much more of everything over oak in this case.  At least that is my opinion.

If your ham is 10 pounds then I would smoke it 5-6 hours cold.

At the price you paid what have you got to lose? Most stuff I do I learned by trial and error. Believe me I've have had my share of stuff ending up in the trash~~LOL!

I will be looking for your reply. This is an interesting project for sure. Good Luck!
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!