• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Fatties 101

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 27, 2008, 05:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I was thinking about what KyNola wrote the other day about fatties 101. Pretty good idea since i have alot of time off.

So i will be posting pics step by step on how i make fatties  ;D

My choice of pucks will be oak & maple.

Bacon will be in my meat mix along with spices, salt/pepper, small amount of bread crumbs, powdered milk.

Ok here we go  ;D

First thing is to clean and sanitize your prep area (yeah i know what a pain, but you dont want micro creepy things in your fatties)
I use 1 capfull of bleach to a spray bottle with water. After cleaning i put butcher paper on my work area.

(Butcher paper not shown)

Pics will be posted throughout the day.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Here is the first step in my making of a fattie.

3 slices of bacon
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup powdered milk
1 T kosher salt
1/2 t black pepper

You can also add any spices or other ingredients you like.

Next is 2 lbs of GM and the 3 slices of bacon (this should make 3 fatties). I use a small food processor for chopping the bacon. Add dry ingredients with bacon to the GM.

Mix all together real good.

When all mixed cover and place in fridge for 1.5 hrs. This wil get everything back to a workable condition.

Meanwhile........................

Go get your BS pre heated, your racks sprayed or covered with your sheets. Dont forget your probes and thermometer thingys  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Here is my rack. I am just going to use 1 today, covered with a food grade sheet a good friend sent me to try out.
Got my digital and meat thermo ready as well as the bubba pucks. Dont forget the water in the pan or you will have dry fatties  ;D

To revise the wood pucks from my 1st post, I dont have any maple left so i am just going with oak. Going to use 4 oak pucks @225* until the IT of the GM reaches 145* then bumping up to 250* so i get the IT @ 165* (I might have to bump to 275*)

nepas

NePaSmoKer

The fatties all bacon wrapped.

And in the smoker.

Gotta wait now  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

All done  ;D

Slice em up for a fattie and cheese quesadilla  ;D

nepas

Buck36

As usual......INCREDIBLE!

I have added bacon before but never thought about throwing it in the food processor. Great tip and thanks for the step by step instructions for the fatties!

Your first entry shows you posted at 5:40 this morning. That is one dedicated BBQ master!

West Coast Kansan

Very nice NePA.  Suddenly I am looking forward to you having time on your hands.  ;D Take it easy!

WCK

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Duster

Wow Looks Good Nepas, But only three? whats everyone else gonna eat :D

pensrock

Looks great but I just have to ask, since no one else has yet. Why are only two wrapped in bacon? I think with the bacon inside it may not be necessary to wrap them also? Of course one can never have too much bacon!  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on July 27, 2008, 12:33:33 PM
Looks great but I just have to ask, since no one else has yet. Why are only two wrapped in bacon? I think with the bacon inside it may not be necessary to wrap them also? Of course one can never have too much bacon!  ;D

pens

The middle fattie i didnt wrap because i crumbled some of it up into some baked beans.

Thanks everyone.

Also the screens worked out very good. They wiped clean with warm soapy water  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Buck36 on July 27, 2008, 10:55:23 AM
As usual......INCREDIBLE!

I have added bacon before but never thought about throwing it in the food processor. Great tip and thanks for the step by step instructions for the fatties!

Your first entry shows you posted at 5:40 this morning. That is one dedicated BBQ master!

Thanks Buck

nepas

Oldman

One day I got to try this.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Oldman on July 28, 2008, 09:11:48 AM
One day I got to try this.
Olds

Olds

I will be in your way for 2 weeks in Oct/Nov....................... ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Had a pm from a forum member asking about the powdered milk. Yes you can cut it back to a smaller portion.

nepas