• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A rookie smokers first attempt on the Bradley

Started by jnichols, July 27, 2008, 07:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnichols

Well after a few weeks of reading up on the Bradley Smokers, I deciding to purchase the original model this week.  I have never attempted smoking anything before, besides using a smoker box on the Weber to add a little flavor.  I seasoned her up with 6 pucks of hickory and I was ready for my inaugural smoke.  I decided to attempt pulled pork.  I picked up a 4.75 lb. pork shoulder from the supermarket yesterday.  About 6:00pm last night I smothered it in CYM.  For the other new smokers out there, CYM is not some sort of gourmet meat marinade.  It is just plain old Cheap Yellow Mustard.  (There, I saved you from having to figure it out on your own.)  Then I concocted a rub that consisted of 1 tablespoon of each of the following:
-Celery Salt
-Mr Pepper (Black Pepper would work also, I just love Mr. Pepper on everything)
-Course Kosher Salt
-Ground Thyme
-Brown Sugar
-Paprika
-Chile Powder
-Garlic Powder
-Plain Sugar
-Ground Cumin
-Saigon Cinnamon
-Ground Mustard
-Mustard Seed

I shook all of this in a glass jar and rubbed it all over the pork shoulder.  I put it on a pan, wrapped it in foil, and put it in the fridge over night.  I had seen a lot of different rub recipes on this site, so I took a couple and tweaked them by adding a few different ingredients.  This was a total experiment. 

About 9:00 this morning I took it out of the fridge and put it on the counter.  I then loaded the Bradley with Hickory pucks and preheated it to 200 degrees.  I used half water and half apple juice in the bowl.  I only hit the advance button once, so it did not start smoking a puck until after 40 minutes.  At 9:45am,  loaded it in on the 3rd rack from the top and closed it up.  It was about 95 today here in Florida.  I had the temp lever about 3/4 of the way and the temps showed around 220.  I had the vents opened about 1/3 of the way. 

After 2 1/2 hours I just could not stand it any more, so I had to open it up and take a look.  It was already looking amazing and it smelled great.  I sprayed it with some apple juice while I had it opened.  The temp. dropped to about 175 while I had it opened.  t only took about 15-20 minutes to get back up to 220.

At the 4 hour mark, I emptied the water bowl and filled it back up again with half water and half apple juice.  I took the temp. of the meat and it was showing almost 130.  I again sprayed it down with apple juice and closed her back up.  The temp. on the Bradley this time dropped to about 150. 

While I was waiting, I got on the computer and ordered 3 Bubba Pucks and a Maverick ET73 from Yard and Pool.  I do not want to have to keep taking the temps like this next time I get my smoke on. 

After 5 1/2 hours I again checked the temp of the pork and sprayed it down with apple juice.  It was reading 155.  It was getting close now.

At 4:00pm, I again checked the temp and it read 160.  I removed the pork.  It had been smoked for 6 1/4 hours.  I sprayed it down with apple juice again and FTCd it.  Actually FTMd it.  The microwave seemed to work well :) (Foil Towel Cooler for the other new smokers.  Again, saved you some research time.)

At 6:00pm, I took it out and started to pull all that juicy meat.  It was still almost too hot to pull without burning the hands.  The pork was so moist and tender.  I served it up on big hogie sub rolls with a choice of a couple of sauces (Stubb's and Sweet Baby Rays).  I need to figure out a good homeade sauce.  My wife and I had her parents over to join us in the first Bradley feast.  We all agreed that this was the best pulled pork we had ever had.  Even my 2 1/2 year old daughter tore it up!  Sorry, I did not take any pics.  The wife thought that I was crazy enough writing everything down that I did.

Thanks to everyone posting on this site,  A new Bradley owner  is hooked on smoking.  I can't wait until next weekend!  I am going to cook something for the neighbors bbq, I just have not decided what yet.                     

Arcs_n_Sparks

jnichols,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are out of the starting blocks in great form. Don't forget those pictures; it will keep you from burning your fingers (for a few seconds).   :D :D :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum jn!

Yep, you sound like another addict (welcome to the club) , oh well I can think of worse things!  Ya did use mesquite...right!.....Oh thats right, don't listen to me!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

West Coast Kansan

Greetings and welcome.  Amazing thing how food tastes better... enjoy!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum jnichols!

What part of Florida to you hail from ?

The anticipation of that first smoke is a killer, ain't it.

Try taking the internal temp of the Pork Butt to 190 - you won't believe how good it is....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

car54

Welcome jnichols,

It sounds like you have every thing covered. I agree with flbentrider on the 190 degrees. You can FTC for over 6 hours and it will be hot. With smoking it is best to have  it done way before you want to eat and just but it on hold with the FTC. It is very hard to have it done at 5:00 so that you can eat at 5:30. The meat has it's own schedule.

Brad

bigcatdaddy

Welcome jnichols,

Glad to hear ya got your smoke on!!!!!  Congrats!!!  I agree with the other guys, try running your IT to 185-190.  I smoked 3 Butts this weekend, a 8# and 2- 6 pounders.  Ran them up to 190 and FTC for 6 hrs.  They completely fell apart!!!!  Hard to get them in one piece off the racks!

Just remember that pork fat is the king!

BCD

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

KyNola

Nice jnichols!!
Nothing more I can add 'cause all the guys who are advising you are the same guys who advise me.  I will agree on the IT at 180-190.  Sounds like you had a great first journey.  Don't you love it when folks say to you "This is so good.  You really did this?  In that little smoker?"  Please don't give up the secret that all of us Bradley owners know....this is just too easy. :D

KyNola

jnichols

Thank you all for the input.  I will definately let the IT run into the 190s next time. 

2bh

Quote from: bigcatdaddy on July 28, 2008, 09:36:18 AM
Welcome jnichols,

Glad to hear ya got your smoke on!!!!!  Congrats!!!  I agree with the other guys, try running your IT to 185-190.  I smoked 3 Butts this weekend, a 8# and 2- 6 pounders.  Ran them up to 190 and FTC for 6 hrs.  They completely fell apart!!!!  Hard to get them in one piece off the racks!

Just remember that pork fat is the king!

BCD

how long did it take to get those 3 butts to 190? I am doing the same today for a party saturday.

Thanks!

Tenpoint5

Jnichols Welcome aboard the smokers wagon. If you have some of that first PP left try using it in some ABT's for your neighbors BBQ party. JalapeƱo cut in half deseeded and deveined , fill each side with cream cheese and some PP smash back together and wrap in bacon with some rub sprinkled on. smoke for 2-3 hours till bacon is cooked. Guaranteed to be the hit of the party.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!