Boiled Peanuts

Started by Oldman, August 03, 2008, 03:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Does anyone here boil peanuts?

Back in the 80's my ex-mother-in-law use to grow and the dry roast her own with salt.  Then she would take a bunch and boil them in spices.

Today I just get dry roasted peanuts with salt from the store. Then boil them in red pepper flakes. With two kinds of grounded black pepper corns and one white pepper corn. Then add enough salt to kick them up some.

They are so good that I chew the husks for the liquid.

If anyone here does boiled peanuts how about sharing what you do.

For those here who have never had boiled peanuts let me say I can make an entire meal out of them. If you are a cold beer drinker, I do believe once you have boiled you will never go back to dry roasted -- this unless the beer is hot and nasty... LOL~~!

Olds.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

NePaSmoKer

Olds

I love boild p nuts. Every time i go down south i am lookin for the roadside stands for em. I like the hot cajun myself.

Up here in the north you cant get em so i buy them down there 10lb bags of raw (green p nuts) and make my own. I have also found that you can get them in cans and heat em up in the wave.

The raw pnuts i freeze them so they ast all year.

Here is how i make my boild pnuts. Use a large pot or pressure cooker

3 T salt  ( ;Dor more to taste)
6/7 cups water
3 cups of raw (green) in the shell pnuts
1 T red pepper flakes

Put everything in boiling water high heat for 30 mins. Serve hot in the shells to get the hot salty water in them.

I also have 12 cans of each for backup  ;D

nepas

I have also used an electric pressure cooker to shorten the cooking time. This makes for a smoother eating pnut. Some folks cook em all day but i have found that smaller batches are better.

Gizmo

Never heard of them before but now will be on the look out for them. 

Olds, do you make your own with them in the shell or already shelled?
I have some salted in the shell and would like to see how they taste if that is the correct starting point.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

My father use to boiled them all the time, and we called goober peas. I'll have to ask my brothers and sister if they know his recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Once in a whle I see Alton Brown talking about them and I want to make them. The only problem is that I can't get raw peanuts up here. Thanks Olds for letting me know you could use the dry roasted.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

Here is a good place for raw (green pnuts)

http://www.nutsonline.com

nepas

Oldman

Quote from: Gizmo on August 03, 2008, 10:24:03 PM
Never heard of them before but now will be on the look out for them. 

Olds, do you make your own with them in the shell or already shelled?
I have some salted in the shell and would like to see how they taste if that is the correct starting point.
In the shell. And a little more salt than you would normally think.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MWS

Quote from: HCT on August 04, 2008, 04:41:55 AM
Once in a whle I see Alton Brown talking about them and I want to make them. The only problem is that I can't get raw peanuts up here. Thanks Olds for letting me know you could use the dry roasted.

Coincidently, I saw that "Good Eats" episode yesterday of Food Network. I googled the program and Alton Browns recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/boiled-peanuts-recipe/index.html

I does sound like good eats, I've never had boiled peanuts.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

La Quinta

Olds...gotta tell ya...boiled peanuts freak me out!! Don't get them...hubby and I have always been the peeps at the bar eating regular ones or better...honey roasted  :)? Used to stop on the road driving back home from college at fresh produce stands to bring home stuff for Mom and they never really appealed to me? Do they taste good? Never ate them but all my friends loved em!!!

Habanero Smoker

Goober peas are good eats. This thread has got me thinking of them again; I hope one of my family members has the recipe.

MWS;
Thank for the link, but my father would use a much greater amount of salt then Alton did in his recipe, and as Olds mentioned, spices were often added.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

QuoteThanks Olds for letting me know you could use the dry roasted.
Ya they just take longer to get done. Personally I rather boild salt dried peanuts than raw ones.

Years back I planted many peanuts in the area between the side walk and the road. The soil was poor in nitrogen and peanuts fix to the soil nitrogen. I got the peanuts from the food market...they were dried out but raw. For years after that I had peanuts come up every year.

carnie1

Boiled peanuts mmmmm good, NEPA is right nobody up north here has em, I do my own too, in the crock pot ya don't have to baby sit em that way  water, salt, hot pepper flakes or old bay and let em cook til they are done.  A lot of beer distributors here in Pa roast peanut so just ask for a bag of raw ones.

Wildcat

Love boiled peanuts.  I usually find vendors on the side of the road in my area, but I have made them.  Takes LOTS of salt.  I have a large propane burner set up (primarily for deep frying turkey, etc.)  I do not know the salt to water ratio.  I go by how salty the water tastes.  The nuts will not absorb as much of the salt as you would think.  It also takes a long time to get them done.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

onlyrareitems

Just a late post for anybody who wants these babies spicy & more flavorful:
2 LBs Green (Raw) Peanuts
1 Ham Hock
Large Pinch (1/2 Tsp) Cayenne
3/4 Can of Salt (Almost 2 cups)

Just take your average size crock pot (2 qt I believe), take all of the above ingredients and cover with water. This should fill the crock pot to the brim. After the water is added, cover the mixture with a ceramic plate in order to completely submerge (cover), all of the peanuts. Turn the pot up to high and cook at least 12 hours (Overnight is best).
Sample them to make sure that your firmness is correct before you turn off the heat. Cook to desired firmness & enjoy!

pensrock

smokinrookie does boiled peanuts according to his reply in another topic.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6331.msg93030#msg93030

We stopped at a stand on the way to the outter banks in Oct. I tried them, the flavor was good but it must take some getting used to, its more like eating a spicy bean than a peanut. I guess when you think peanut you expect crunch, not mush.  ???