Bacon

Started by rcger, August 11, 2008, 07:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I'm sure it is, but I have dried belly for 2 days, loin (Canadian bacon) for 4 days (something came up and I was unable to smoke it when I planned to) with no noticeable differences.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Leifostberg

You should invest in a great book, Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn; it is simply great.

FLBentRider

I have that book and I agree - great book.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokeitall

Quote from: rcger on August 11, 2008, 07:20:38 AM
I'm going to get some pork belly this weekend with the hope of making bacon.  I would appreciate it if someone would supply me a good cure and smoking procedures.  I'd like my bacon to be on the sweet side.  I've read that many people hang it to smoke.  Can you use the racks instead?  Also, do you smoke with the skin on or off?  I've read that people do it both ways.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hey rcger I saw that you are from Festus in another post.  I am from St. Louis and I am curious as to where you get the pork belly's from around here?  Thanks, Scott
P.S.  I actually came through Festus today on my way back from Poplar Bluff...

rcger

Quote from: smokeitall on September 12, 2008, 07:57:21 PM
Quote from: rcger on August 11, 2008, 07:20:38 AM
I'm going to get some pork belly this weekend with the hope of making bacon.  I would appreciate it if someone would supply me a good cure and smoking procedures.  I'd like my bacon to be on the sweet side.  I've read that many people hang it to smoke.  Can you use the racks instead?  Also, do you smoke with the skin on or off?  I've read that people do it both ways.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hey rcger I saw that you are from Festus in another post.  I am from St. Louis and I am curious as to where you get the pork belly's from around here?  Thanks, Scott
P.S.  I actually came through Festus today on my way back from Poplar Bluff...

Scott,

The Schnucks in Festus told me they could get the pork belly for me.  You can also get it a Kenrick's Meats on Bayless.  You'll have to give both of them a few days notice as they have to order it.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

smokeitall

Thanks I will have to order some.