Bacon

Started by rcger, August 11, 2008, 07:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

I'm going to get some pork belly this weekend with the hope of making bacon.  I would appreciate it if someone would supply me a good cure and smoking procedures.  I'd like my bacon to be on the sweet side.  I've read that many people hang it to smoke.  Can you use the racks instead?  Also, do you smoke with the skin on or off?  I've read that people do it both ways.  Any help would be appreciated.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

FLBentRider

On the Curing board you should find lots of posts for Belly Bacon. The basic recipe is this:

1T of Morton's Tender Quick per lb of pork belly.

For flavor, I add 1T of Brown Sugar per lb of pork belly, and / or maple syrup.

Rub it all in good, put it in a ziplock (with the cure and sugar) refrigerate for 7 days, turn daily.

Take it out, soak in water for 30 minutes, test fry, if too salty, soak again.

Dry 8 hours or overnight in fridge.

Smoke 3 hours of your favorite smoke - I go to an internal temp of 140.

Here is a post with more detail:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4986.msg45154#msg45154
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rcger

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 11, 2008, 09:32:45 AM
On the Curing board you should find lots of posts for Belly Bacon. The basic recipe is this:

1T of Morton's Tender Quick per lb of pork belly.

For flavor, I add 1T of Brown Sugar per lb of pork belly, and / or maple syrup.

Rub it all in good, put it in a ziplock (with the cure and sugar) refrigerate for 7 days, turn daily.

Take it out, soak in water for 30 minutes, test fry, if too salty, soak again.

Dry 8 hours or overnight in fridge.

Smoke 3 hours of your favorite smoke - I go to an internal temp of 140.

Here is a post with more detail:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4986.msg45154#msg45154

Thanks, FLBentRider!  As always, the members of this forum come through!!
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

West Coast Kansan

rcger, i looked for the thread with the skin on and off discussion.  A good thread with lots of opinion leaving it all up to you (could not find it).  Frankly I remove the skin on my plate.  Seems homey to me  ;)  :D  ;D Others remove before and after with other uses for the skin depending.

The racks will work fine. The marks go away with the slicer.  You may want to watch the temps.  Try not to let the fat render too much IMHO

Enjoy

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

La Quinta

I take that deliciously smoked skin off whole after the smoking process and bake it in the oven to make...cracklings! Hideous for you but damn tasty!!  ;D

FLBentRider

I forgot to mention my take on skin:

I leave it on until after smoking, it helps it hold its shape.

BUT - don't refrigerate the smoked bacon with the skin still on, it will become a B!tch to get off. After I take them out of the smoker, I let them cool a little and then it will peel off in one piece - no knife required.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I prefer removing the skin prior to curing. I've done it both ways, and the difference is enough for me to go through the hassle of removing the skin prior to curing. Although removing the skin after smoking is a lot easier.

While smoking the bacon, I will place the skins on another rack and smoke them. I later use them to season beans, greens, and soups. To cut the smoked skins, it is best to use kitchen shears.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rcger

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 11, 2008, 07:18:33 PM

BUT - don't refrigerate the smoked bacon with the skin still on, it will become a B!tch to get off. After I take them out of the smoker, I let them cool a little and then it will peel off in one piece - no knife required.

So, do you apply the cure to the skin side also?  Will the cure penetrate the skin?

FLBentRider

Quote from: rcger on August 12, 2008, 06:19:55 AM

So, do you apply the cure to the skin side also?  Will the cure penetrate the skin?

I apply the cure everywhere. It doesn't stick too well to the skin side. I try to get as much of the cure to stick to the meat side as possible, then I put all the measured cure that does not stick in the ziplock bag with the meat. I try to get all the air out. If you roll the ziplock part under itself it will help to keep the cure mix out of the zip-track. The zip-track does not like granular material.

Then I put it in the fridge, turn it over and kinda shake it around one a day. It will release fluid, making its own brine. If after 7 days it does not seem firmer, I leave it in a day or two longer. I have left it in there up to two weeks with no ill effects on the finished product.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rcger

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 12, 2008, 06:52:00 AM
Quote from: rcger on August 12, 2008, 06:19:55 AM

I apply the cure everywhere. It doesn't stick too well to the skin side. I try to get as much of the cure to stick to the meat side as possible, then I put all the measured cure that does not stick in the ziplock bag with the meat. I try to get all the air out. If you roll the ziplock part under itself it will help to keep the cure mix out of the zip-track. The zip-track does not like granular material.

Then I put it in the fridge, turn it over and kinda shake it around one a day. It will release fluid, making its own brine. If after 7 days it does not seem firmer, I leave it in a day or two longer. I have left it in there up to two weeks with no ill effects on the finished product.

Really valuable info.  Thanks a lot!

rcger

So, based on everything I've read, this is going to be my procedure unless someone sees any gaping errors:

1.)  Rub bellies with 1 TBS MTQ and 1 TBS DBS per pound of meat
2.)  Cure for 7 days in Zip Lock, turning and massaging daily
3.)  Rinse/soak for 2 hours
4.)  Back in a Zip Lock with 1/4 C Maple Syrup and 1/4 Cup Apple Juice for 1 day
5.)  Rinse again
6.)  Smoke with Apple for 4 hours to an IT of 160 degrees
7.)  Fry and enjoy

I really appreciate everyone's contributions!!

FLBentRider

Quote from: rcger on August 12, 2008, 07:45:55 AM
So, based on everything I've read, this is going to be my procedure unless someone sees any gaping errors:

4.)  Back in a Zip Lock with 1/4 C Maple Syrup and 1/4 Cup Apple Juice for 1 day
5.)  Rinse again
7.)  Fry and enjoy

On number 3, I would not soak that long before testing. I usually do 30 minutes at a time. Soak 30, slice off a piece, test fry - check for saltiness. Re-soak in 30 minute increments if needed. (I've not needed to re-soak)

I have not done step 4. If I use maple syrup, I put it in the ziplock with the meat and cure. (after rubbing the cure on dry)

You should also dry the meat after step 5. I use an inverted smoker rack on a sheet pan in the fridge, uncovered. You want a "pellicle" or tacky surface on the meat. I think it helps the smoke flavor stick and penetrate. I put it in the night before I am going to smoke it, if the same day, give it six hours or so.

You also want to take the meat out of the fridge at let it sit for 30-40 minutes while the Bradley is pre-heating.

I only go to an IT of 140. At 160 I think your fat is going to start rendering.

In the summer here (95+) I smoke for 2 hours @ 150 then 1 hour @ 195. That gets me an IT of 140 at the end of 3 hours. That was also only one slab. When I do a smoker full, you can start with a higher temp, since the meat load is going to keep the temp down.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

The drying phase is important after soaking - it lets osmosis re-distribute the salts. After soaking, the outside is going to be less salty that the inside. While it is drying, the salt will equalize throughout the meat.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

FLBent Rider has some great info there!

The only other thing I think you missed was the final step...

8.) Rub "your" belly!  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

rcger

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 12, 2008, 08:11:20 AM
Quote from: rcger on August 12, 2008, 07:45:55 AM

5.)  Rinse again
7.)  Fry and enjoy

You should also dry the meat after step 5. I use an inverted smoker rack on a sheet pan in the fridge, uncovered. You want a "pellicle" or tacky surface on the meat. I think it helps the smoke flavor stick and penetrate. I put it in the night before I am going to smoke it, if the same day, give it six hours or so.

Is it possible to dry the meat too long?