5-Speed Tranny for the Midget

Started by Oldman, August 11, 2008, 08:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Well it took much looking but we purchased a new (used) tranny for my Midget. The only years that work are Sept of 1978 thru 1980 of a Datsun 210. Trying to purchase one on eBay is a joke. They are so hot as they are the only 5 speed that can be converted to the MG Midget or a Austin-Healey Sprite 4 that many bidders are playing that last minute bid game. Two of us were working together trying to beat out the rest. We finally just gave up.

Don't even ask me what I had to give for it--I will not tell ya as it is embarrassing. I will tell this that it is  so hot I could have purchased the tranny for 6 Datsun 280Z for I paid for this one 210 tranny.  Plus we still have to go through it. Plus there are the two converstion kits. One to hook it up to the engine. The other for the speedometer.

While the engine is out I'm also having them take everything out from under the hood and we are painting that area with a textured black paint. This way when I paint the car next year I will not have to address taken out the engine and tranny. We are going to use various colors to contrast the black. i.e. bright orange wiring, stainless steel lines and stuff like that.

After this all that is left to do is a little body work, roll bar, paint of course and the supercharger. At that point I will own the most expensive MG Midget in the State of Florida.

If you have not seen my Midget you can view it at this directory addy: http://www.susanminor.org/Rayeimages/MG/May08/

BTW The Midget and Sprite where manufactured in the same plant. Just different names.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

QuoteBTW The Midget and Sprite where manufactured in the same plant.

Were models for the US market manufactured in the UK or in the US?

This certainly is a labour of love Olds!! And $$$$$$$$'s!!  ;) :D
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I agree with manxman; that is quite a ride.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Olds,
That is a N I C E  ride!

It is obvious that you have put alot of work into it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Oldman

QuoteWere models for the US market manufactured in the UK or in the US?
My understanding is they all were manufactured in the UK, but I will check on it.
QuoteIt is obvious that you have put alot of work into it.
Nope... just tons of money! ;D

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

FLBentRider

Quote from: Oldman on August 12, 2008, 04:19:14 AM
QuoteIt is obvious that you have put alot of work into it.
Nope... just tons of money! ;D

That was my second guess. I almost put "work" in quotes....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

manxman

QuoteMy understanding is they all were manufactured in the UK,

That was my understanding also but sometimes such cars are manufactured under licence, presumably the Midgets and Austin Healey Sprites were all built at Abingdon or more later perhap the Longbridge plant?
Manxman

Oldman

I checked and they all were made in the UK.

car54

Olds,

With that car I am glad that you are not 16 years old. Although would not it feel good to be 16 again!

Brad

KyNola

Olds,
You're my kind of guy, "not lots of work, just lots of money".  Bought my '36 Ford Phaeton Street Rod already done and then threw some more money at it.  I know what I like, I just can't do it. :D

All of us have our vices I guess.........besides Bradleys!

Olds, that Midget is just awesome!!! The supercharger is going to be the ultimate!!!!

KyNola

Oldman

QuoteOlds, that Midget is just awesome!!! The supercharger is going to be the ultimate!!!!
Thanks... I love it. One other project is installing the 5.1 sound system I want. I have the reciever, but area for installing the speakers is very limited.  One of the gamers has turned me on to waveguides mounted up under the dash. they are basically a horn-loaded compression driver. I still have some research to do on them, but from what I read and given my limited space they look good to go for me--as the left and right "speakers."

This is what the supercharger, new head and new valve cover will  look like when they are added.
The Super is really only a "street level" charger with 5 -6 pounds, but the look factor is WOW~~!

Smokin Soon

Kinda reminds me of a girfriend I had with a Sprite with a blown clutch. My buddy and me finally figured out we could not get the tranny out without pulling the engine. We just hoisted the thing out with a chain attatched to a pipe!