GFI keeps triping

Started by berkeyre, September 04, 2008, 07:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berkeyre

I have a new electric stainless steel smoker. Had a plug put on the deck next to the smoker that has a GFI. The GFI keeps triping. When plugged into a plug without a GFI it works fine.  GFI has been tested and is fine. Anybody else have this problem.  My e-mail is [email protected]

Tenpoint5

Im not an electrician by any means but it sounds like the GFI is rated too low for the amp's that are drawn from it to power the Bradley. So it is thinking that you are getting shocked and is tripping.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dick621

Its not unusual for a piece of equipment to trip a gfci , yet work in a regular outlet. A GFCI is designed to save lives , thus the fault current to trip is very low.  You should trust  the GFCI.  I would have the smoker checked by an electrician, well no i wouldn't because I am one.  It is better to be safe than sorry.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

beefmann

i agree with having the smoker checked .. you  might  have some type of  voltage  going through the ground conductor of the unit  ( the neutral  would be normal ) which would trip the gfi only way to find this out is to put the smoker on a regular recptical that is not protected by gfi and with a volt meter touch one  lead to the bare metal of the case  or  bare  screw and the screw on the recptical and if you have a voltage reading you  have a device that  is leaking  voltage through ground typically  it would be connections, the puck advance motor or  heater  connections. also check the insulation of the conductors carefully for any  cracks, frays or damage and replace if necessary.

by the  way im an electrical contractor

beefmann

dick621

Hello Beefman,  I'm a contractor to.  where you located.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

beefmann

Tenpoint5

See I told ya I didn't know what I was talking about.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

Just a quick thought.
Could the inductive load of the heater cause the GFI to trip?  ???
Has anyone else tried running their smoker on a GFI circuit?
Also is the GFI a breaker or receptical?

OK well I guess more than one quick thought.  ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pensrock on September 04, 2008, 06:35:07 PM
Just a quick thought.
Could the inductive load of the heater cause the GFI to trip?  ???
Also is the GFI a breaker or receptical?

OK well I guess more than one quick thought.  ;D

Yeah thats what I was trying to say or ask

Arcs_n_Sparks

Inductive loads should have no effect on the GFI.

Gizmo

My BDS is plugged into a GFI with no problem.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

beefmann

with a 500 watt heater on a gfi No ... and  with a 900 watt, 120 watt fan  no

I have ran the orginal 500 watt heater on a gfi and have modified my  smoker with a fan and 900 watt finned heater both have never  triped a GFI recptical

Beefmann

Habanero Smoker

All my outdoor outlets are GFI, and the only time I had any problem is when an unexpected T-storm came through and my power strip got drenched.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Well that helps narrow it down then. If there is not a problem with his GFI circuit it has to be voltage going to ground in the smoker somehow, as beefman suggested.

aha638

Could it be a bad GFI ????

Al