• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking Pork Spare Ribs

Started by lmollstl, September 06, 2008, 07:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmollstl

This is the second time I have used my smoker and I would like to smoke two racks of pork spare ribs. I will be using apple wood. My question is: what should the IT be on ribs and how long and what temp. to smoke/heat? I tried smoking a pork butt last week and got mediocre results. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

beefmann

Im

i would season the ribs with your  favoite rub if you  dont have one try the following listed below then  cold smoke for 2 to 3 hours ( cold smoke is smoking  only  .. no heat ) then turn off the  smoke generator and turn on the heat for the box at 200 to 220.. let cook till an IT od 175 to 185 if you want it to fall off the bone..

also spray with  either orange  soda or apple juice

the rub

2 table spoons sea salt
2 - 3 table spoons black pepper
2 table spoons paprika
1 table spoon cumin
1/2 table spoon garlic powder ( or  you could  cover  ribs in minced garlic which tastes a lot better   )
1 table spoon sugar
1/2 table spoon cinnimon ( if you  have it  available )
1 table spoon thyme

mix throughly and apply

if you like it a bit  spicer .. ass more pepper and  some cayenne pepper

enjoy
beefmann

Habanero Smoker

If you don't have a good instant read thermometer it's hard to get an accurate IT on ribs. I generally smoke/cook until the meat pulls away and exposes about 3/4 to 1 inch of bone.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I don't take the temp on ribs either.

This is how I do spare ribs - http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7500.0
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

lmollstl

I tried the recipie and the ribs turned out great! Thanks for the help.

Curious Aardvark

sneaky - so you don't actually cook the ribs in the bradley, just use it for a little smoke flavour.
makes sense.
Or Am I reading the recipe wrong ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One - works for me :-)

Gizmo

Curious,
You can do either, use the Bradley start to finish or move the meat to another heat source.  Most of the time I move mine to either a house oven or a grill depending on what needs to be done.  Ribs usually get both as I will move from the Bradley to the oven after 3 to 4 hours of smoke, then from the oven to the grill to glaze them over if I am doing a BBQ sauce finish.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

Quote from: Curious Aardvark on October 28, 2008, 08:37:46 AM
sneaky - so you don't actually cook the ribs in the bradley, just use it for a little smoke flavour.
makes sense.
Or Am I reading the recipe wrong ?

You read it right. That recipe is an adaptation of an (Alton Brown) oven recipie. Since braising requires a cover, and my braising vessel wilnot fit in the bradley, I use the oven.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

congrats  Im..

and Currious,

I smoke and cook my  ribs in the Smoker till the meas starts to pull away  from the bone and there done

sherlock

Beef
How long does that usually take?

I have only done them twice and that was a year ago.

First attempt was a failure. I applied too much of a rub that way too hot for my tastes. The second attempt was great but, I forgot how I did it. I just bought a spiral bound pad so I can write down what I do so I don't repat my failures.

Nathan

beefmann

sherlock,

I do a typical light  covering with a rub, then a smoke only for 1 hr 20 min with your  favorite bisquetts then cook at a box temp of 205  to 210 for 6 to 8 hours  depending on volume of ribs.. more you  have  longer  it takes. If you  have a full smoke  of ribs then rotate ribs from top to bottom and front to  back,

when the meat starts to pull away from the bone  your  getting close...i  would look close at  each of the bone and sure that the meat is pulling away.. then your  done once it happins

Stitches040

Quote from: beefmann on November 06, 2008, 06:44:46 AM
sherlock,

I do a typical light covering with a rub, then a smoke only for 1 hr 20 min with your  favorite bisquetts then cook at a box temp of 205 to 210 for 6 to 8 hours  depending on volume of ribs.. more you  have  longer  it takes. If you  have a full smoke  of ribs then rotate ribs from top to bottom and front to  back,

when the meat starts to pull away from the bone  your  getting close...i  would look close at  each of the bone and sure that the meat is pulling away.. then your  done once it happins

Hello Beefman ...

Being a Newbie, ... So you "Cold Smoke" for the 1.5 hrs, then close off the box, and turn on the heat for the remaining 6-8 hrs.  Do you want to add any disks during this process too?? (Heat Smoke)

Do you at any point open and "Spritz" the ribs with apple juice, or anything else for extra moisture?  Now the Vent on the top of the smoker?  Keep that closed off as much as possible I take it, when cooking? Correct?

Thanks for your help ...

beefmann

Welcome to the forum Stitches,

yes i generally  cold smoke for 1 hr 20 minutes to 2 hours then cook untill the meat is  done.. with ribs it works out to be:

1 hr 20 min smoke and 6 to 8 hours of cook  total time 7 hr 20 min to almost 9 and half hours, sometimes a bit longer depending on the ribs. On the smoke I have the top vent 1/2 open then close to cook and generally dont add any more smoke. as for additional moisture and taste I put a small bread tray 1/2 full of orange soda. the orange soda is sunkist orange.. though you  could use your  favorite soda for additional taste and moisture

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Stitches040!

Quote from: Stitches040 on November 10, 2008, 05:03:34 PM
Now the Vent on the top of the smoker?  Keep that closed off as much as possible I take it, when cooking? Correct?

You'll want to keep the vent at least half open. You do not want excess moisture to condense on the inside of the smoker. If it drips on the food... YUCK!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Stitches040

Quote from: beefmann on November 10, 2008, 05:31:14 PM
1 hr 20 min smoke and 6 to 8 hours of cook  total time 7 hr 20 min to almost 9 and half hours, sometimes a bit longer depending on the ribs. On the smoke I have the top vent 1/2 open then close to cook and generally dont add any more smoke. as for additional moisture and taste I put a small bread tray 1/2 full of orange soda. the orange soda is sunkist orange.. though you  could use your  favorite soda for additional taste and moisture

Ok ... I'm giving your recipe a try right now (Today) ... I have added some apple juice to the burnt bisquette bowl. I am also spritsing the ribs with Apple juice every 1.5-2 hrs.  They Smell great.

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 10, 2008, 07:36:16 PMYou'll want to keep the vent at least half open. You do not want excess moisture to condense on the inside of the smoker. If it drips on the food... YUCK!

Ok ... You and Beef, I willl leave the vent open just a little.

Thank you all for your help. ... :thumbs: