Fishy question

Started by westexasmoker, September 08, 2008, 10:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

I was just rummaging through my freezer and noticed one of myvac-sealed bags of salmon apparently lost its seal and is now covered with ice crystals.  Am I good to just re-seal it?  I'm still a couple of months away from being at an outside temperature to allow cold smoking.  What do the fish experts recommend?

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

manxman

Hi westexasmoker,

I just re-seal in a fresh vac bag in such instances and have never had a problem, usually rinse the fish briefly under the cold water tap then pat dry to get rid of the ice crystals first to avoid any possibility of the new bag being punctured by any sharp ice crystals (if that could happen?) and it also looks better IMHO but that's personnal preference.  :)
Manxman

Kummok

I'm with Manx....rinse off the ice crystals and take a look at the meat. If it's discolored, cut out the colored part and re-vacseal/refreeze. No sense in wasting good fish!

westexasmoker

Thanks guys!

Done deal, this was a batch of sockeye that was on sale....very pretty fish, at least to me stuck down here in no fresh fish world!  About 10 fillets in that bag and didn't want to loose it.  Rinsed off, dried and resealed, looks good, can't wait for cooler weather!  WTS gonna do the Kummok salmon!    :D  Of course with mesquite!  ;D

C

La Quinta

WTS...fish (god help us... salmon no less) with mesquite? No dude...don't do it...please I beg of you... :'(

westexasmoker

Quote from: La Quinta on September 08, 2008, 07:19:12 PM
WTS...fish (god help us... salmon no less) with mesquite? No dude...don't do it...please I beg of you... :'(

Sorry LQ....Ya know I have too!  ::)

C

La Quinta

Ok...I know you must.... but...tell us how it came out????  ???

iceman

Quote from: Kummok on September 08, 2008, 05:28:39 PM
I'm with Manx....rinse off the ice crystals and take a look at the meat. If it's discolored, cut out the colored part and re-vacseal/refreeze. No sense in wasting good fish!

I agree with them on this one for sure. If Manx and Kummok say so, it's a done deal IMO.  ;D ;) Salmon is way to valuable a fish to waste.