• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Birds of Paradise from Smoke and Spice

Started by Carter, September 15, 2008, 06:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carter

If you like garlic, and you have this book, I would highly recommend giving this one a whirl.

The night before I food processed a bunch of basil and thyme from our garden with about 12 garlic cloves, salt and olive oil.  I then covered these chickens both over and under skin.  I used a turkey baster to get right downt there into the thighs.  Then into a plastic bag overnight.

I did 4 cherry pucks in the smoker and then transferred the birds to the bbq to do indirect heat at a about 375.  I don't bother with low and slow with chicken.  I'd rather get the smoke taste on them and then get the skin crisped up nicely so it's edible.

There's the finished product.  We also made up the Mojo that the recipe called for.  I would make it again, but would definitely cut down on the garlic in this.  It's not like you didn't put any garlic in the marinade.  The citris makes a nice complement for the chicken, although you still want to go light so as not to overwhelm the chicken flavour.  The second chicken has been vacuum sealed and is ready for lunches or chicken fajitas or anything else we might decide to do.

And last, but not least, here's what life is all about.  These are my boys.  Life is good.

Carter

Consiglieri

Lot's of great pictures there, but the last one was the best. 

How old are the boys?
Consiglieri

Carter

Thanks.

The big guy is Jack.  He's 21 months.  The little guy is Robbie.  He's 4 months.

We're busy, but we're having fun.

Consiglieri

Like smoking the old way, lots of fun, but not a lot of sleep.   ;)

Enjoy it all!

Cheers to the fun and the family. 
Consiglieri

FLBentRider

I will have to try this recipe. The chicken Not the 2 under 2. I've already been hit with that club. twice.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Those are some nice looking young men you have there Carter!  Time will fly and they'll be grown before ya know it, enjoy them while ya can!   Oh the chickens look mighty good also!   :D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 16, 2008, 04:09:49 AM
I will have to try this recipe. The chicken Not the 2 under 2. I've already been hit with that club. twice.

I have to agree. We have a 9, 8, 7, and 5yr old in our house. Girl then 3 boys. Carter there is never a dull moment. If your boys eat like mine you will need a couple more of them Fine looking Yardbirds.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

coyote

Hey Carter , The birds look great !!!      And when you say life is good. You are sooooooo right ! ,Great Pics
and sons.

Coyote

Carter

Thanks everyone.  Not much better than hanging out with my boys and smoking good food.  A couple of adult beverages a fishing pole and a guitar and that's all I really need.

Carter

hillbillysmoker

Smoking meat and raising family. Sometimes it is just good to be alive. Chicken looks great and the future little smokers are cute as can be. Enjoy the smoking and the boys.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

beefmann

good looking birds ... bet it  came out  good.... loves garlic and uses  it on most  everything much like you have
keep up the good  work

Beefmann

chrispy

Those birds do look deliciuos.  I think I may give that one a go myself!!  Great looking kids too!!

Chrispy