Buffalo wings

Started by westexasmoker, September 21, 2008, 10:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeDogg

I made these a couple months ago and they came out real tasty!

Coat the wings lightly with veg oil and sprinkle with Wild Willie's Rub from Smoke and Spice.
Smoke with your favorite wood.  Smoke wings on the rack at 250 for an hour and a half.  Smoke until starting to crisp.  Then remove the wings and toss with the following sauce:

1/2 cup Franks hot sauce
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp ketchup
1Tbsp rub
1 1/2 Tbsp cherry preserves
1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1 tsp fresh black pepper

Put the coated wings in a pan, put back in the smoker for 20-30 minutes to get sauce good and sticky!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: westexasmoker on September 24, 2008, 07:06:54 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 24, 2008, 07:01:29 AM

Prolly taste even better with Hickory though!!!

Hickory.... ???   ???   ???  Whats that  ???   ;D

C

A step above Mesy wood!!!  :P :P ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

That sounds awesome...love the cherry preserves in there...yumm. :)

Tenpoint5

SmokeDogg bet them are good on a cool Saturday morning in Iowa City. About an hour away.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 24, 2008, 06:38:57 AM

Yeah but Habs ain't them all RAW when they go into the smoker not precooked? What LQ and myself is pondering is wouldn't the wings take on more of a smoke flavor before deep frying than they would after frying? Or is WTS just smoking the sauce on the outside?

The stab about the mesy wood is well just part of the fun.

The discussion was not all about raw foods. I believe the discussion began around cooked meat and adding smoke latter, especially ribs that may have be boiled first or baked in an oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 24, 2008, 01:42:58 PM

Yeah but Habs ain't them all RAW when they go into the smoker not precooked? What LQ and myself is pondering is wouldn't the wings take on more of a smoke flavor before deep frying than they would after frying? Or is WTS just smoking the sauce on the outside?

The discussion was not all about raw foods. I believe the discussion began around cooked meat and adding smoke latter, especially ribs that may have be boiled first or baked in an oven.

Ok I must have missed that part of the discussion. Therefore I was lost No harm no foul I hope

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 24, 2008, 03:06:59 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 24, 2008, 01:42:58 PM

Ok I must have missed that part of the discussion. Therefore I was lost No harm no foul I hope

You may have been a little late on arrival for that discussion. That took place about 3.5 years ago. :)

The actual point to my post was towards the end of the sentence; "....larger surface you get a lot of smoke flavor that adheres to the surfaces; so in these cases smoke penetration is not as important."

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

so in these cases smoke penetration is not as important.
[/quote]

You forgot to add "Especially when using Mesquite!!!!"

La Quinta

Well...let's not be silly...mesquite does have it's place in the house... ;D

westexasmoker

See LQ, agrees  ;D  mesquite rules!  Thats what ya mean't right!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

Uh...yeah...ummm...sure...ah..."not so much"  ;D We have these big cans that we roll out to the street...these big trucks come and dump them after we put our "refuse" in them... :D  :D  :D  :D

westexasmoker

I thought I was close!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

Quote from: La Quinta on September 25, 2008, 07:07:45 PM
Uh...yeah...ummm...sure...ah..."not so much"  ;D We have these big cans that we roll out to the street...these big trucks come and dump them after we put our "refuse" in them... :D  :D  :D  :D

Temporary Mesquite storage units then?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 26, 2008, 02:45:17 AM
Quote from: La Quinta on September 25, 2008, 07:07:45 PM

Temporary Mesquite storage units then?

Thats what it sounds like to me!!

La Quinta

Yeah...that's what I meant!! I put them out for temporary storage...yet they never come back...hmmmm...perhaps I should look into that? .......Ok I did... :D I'm ok with it!!!