• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Turkey

Started by lmollstl, September 23, 2008, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmollstl

Does anyone know a good recipe and smoking time for a 23 lb turkey?  Also, I will be doing a 5 lb pork butt at the same time. Can I smoke the  butt along with the turkey? If so, what needs to be on the top rack? Thanks

FLBentRider

Quote from: lmollstl on September 23, 2008, 02:04:19 PM
Does anyone know a good recipe and smoking time for a 23 lb turkey?  Also, I will be doing a 5 lb pork butt at the same time. Can I smoke the  butt along with the turkey? If so, what needs to be on the top rack? Thanks
See this recent post re:smoking turkey:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8021.msg82322#msg82322

You can do the butt with the bird, I would probably put the butt over the bird. I would rather have the butt dripping on the Turkey than the other way around.

A 23lb bird is going to take a long time. I'm not even sure it will fit on the rack.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

My Mom always does a ham (aka pork) on top of the turkey at Thanksgiving in the smoker...lemme tell ya...when that pork drips down on that turkey...life is sweet!!! I realize it's a cured ham...but pork fat is pork fat!! She also puts a maple/honey glaze on the ham...that drips too!!! It's killer!!  ;D

FLBentRider

We do the same thing with bacon.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

lmollstl

I'm going to try smoking the Turkey with the brine recipe this weekend. A friend of mine told me that his uncle smoked a whole Turkey along with a Ham and Butt, with the Turkey being on the bottom. He said it was the best smoked food he has ever had. He said the Turkey was great with all the pork drippings on it, but it just didn't sound right to me.

La Quinta

Try it...you'll love it!!  ;D

Stitches040

So ... How has everyone's Test Run Turkeys turned out??  I am planning on cooking two turkeys this year ... I will be smoking one that I brine, and Deep Fry the other ... (We have 18 people coming to dinner)

I've used the "Search" function and read some threads that have been started about Smoked Turkey.  The Alton Brown adapted recipe seems to be the winner.  Anyone else try something diffent? 

I have read some places online, to anticipate about 30-40 mins per pound, at about 225*F in a smoker. Is that a good rule of thumb? 

And finally ... Placement of the thermometer for an IT reading.  Some say breast, some say behind thigh and breast.  Would just the breast be ok??

Thanks in advance ...

pensrock

I'm doing a turkey breast. Brine for 6-8 hours. Dry. Smoke for 2-3 hours. Then into the oven till done.

NePaSmoKer

We have a 21 lb barn bird. I think he is going to meet my traeger.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

I've done a few turkeys, but I can't help you with times. For me there are too many variables, and each turkey I smoke/cooked was a different size. After reading a test report from Cook's Illustrated I now use Butterballs, because I don't have enough space or coolers to brine. I'll brine once in a while if I'm looking for a particular flavor.

I always measure the internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh, and take it to about 162°F. At rest it will rise another 2°F - 5°F.

The USDA also recommends the thickest part of the thigh. Scroll to the bottom part of the page to "Thermometer Placement".
Meat - When Is It Done? Part 1[/url}

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

s.f. pangerl

can any one tell me how to smoke a whole turkey and i do wish to smoke some sausage
i need the temperature and how long it will take

Habanero Smoker

Hi S.F.;

Welcome to the forum.

I would be nice to have a step by step guide for smoking/cooking a whole turkey. If any one has a good recipe; please submit it, and I'll post it on the recipe site. I'm planning on smoking a 10 - 12 pounder in the next several days, so I will be taking careful notes.

I don't like to give times, because there are too many variables; such as ambient temperature, wind conditions, humidity etc. I can go as far as saying from my experience a 12 pound turkey will take about 8 hours, but I've had a few that went as long as 10. A lot depends on how fast your smoker recovers, and get up to 225°F.

I find that smoking/cooking the bird in a vertical position, seems like it takes less time; but laying the bird horizontally works well. Prepare your bird as if you were going to cook it in an oven (do not stuff), it is best to brine the bird or use a kosher or self-basting bird.

Make sure the bird is at room temperature, and place in a 225°F (you may want to preheat to 250°F; then smoke/cook at 225°F) smoker with the vent wide open. It's best to rotate the rack front to back at least once during the cooking time. I apply about 2:40 hours of smoke, using maple or apple, and cook until an internal temperature of 162°F is reached.

You can find some brine recipes here, or search the forum:
Brines

Your can find sausage recipes here, or again use the search feature to find more on this forum.
Sausage

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum s.f. pangerl!

Habs has you on the path to a great turkey.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Redeyechevy

What flavor of smoke are you guys using?
I am thinking Cherry.

westexasmoker

Quote from: Redeyechevy on December 02, 2008, 10:53:55 AM
What flavor of smoke are you guys using?
I am thinking Cherry.

Welcome to the forum Redeye!

I will defer your question to the other members though!   ;D  Once again welcome aboard!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!